Cattle grubs EEEEWWWW!!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by doublelranch, Nov 20, 2018.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

So this is a new one for me, and I am really grossed out. One of my barn cats had a tiny wound on its neck. I assumed it had gotten into a fight with another cat. A little tiny hole was oozing pus. I thought no big deal since cats easily abcess after getting wounded in a fight. I kept cleaning it, then the cat disappeared for a few days. That's nothing new as the cats come and go as they please. The cat came home while I was at work. My daughter went to check on him and clean him up. I got a text saying that something alive was in the cat's neck. OK, so she watches too many creepy movies. I get home to find a large lump and the hole was much bigger. The hole had something dark gray in it. My daughter said she had seen it move. Now I am starting to believe her. I squeezed lightly, and this gawd awful thing poked its head out. Had the cat acted uncomfortable, I would've rushed him to the vet. Strangely, he laid his head back and just let me squeeze this horrid thing out. Of course it landed in my lap. Gag reflex!!

My neighbors have cattle which is nothing new, but I have never dealt with these things. Now I am terrified the horses will get the grubs! How common are they on horses, and what's the best way to control them? The cat is fine and healing nicely by the way. Oh and of course a pic of the critter. 20181120_133926.jpg

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT PICTURE. I don't think I'll ever eat gnocci again!

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

ewwwwwwwwwwww

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Nauseating

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Gross!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

I was eating gnocci. I really was. And I looked at the picture, and at the gnocci......Buddy!!!!! Here boy, want some (throwing up a little) gnocci????

7. doublelranch

I wasn't eating, but when that thing rolled into my lap? Yup.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

AHAHAHAHHAHA!

here, kitty, here, kitty....oh MY GOD....GO AWAY KITTY! GO AWAY KITTY!

ginster, lucky_pine and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

OMG... that is beyond gross... and the fact it was in the cat's neck..... I can't even...... :faint:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Alyssa Hughes and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. doublelranch

So....nobody has ever heard of or had this happen?! I have always felt like my neighbors do absolutely no vetting on their cattle or goats. They moved here from the city and started collecting cows and goats from several different breeds. They have babies and more babies. Nothing is tagged. I never see a vet to do vax or anything. No chutes or holding pens. Is this something cattle need to be treated for?? If it is, me and the neighbors need to have a talk.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.