Cataracts. Need input.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Aug 15, 2017.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

We had a checkup today!! Everything is good, her pressure is 15 bilaterally. No inflammation, the incision is healing, everything looked good, vet was pleased. They re-sutured the line to her cheek, and put maxi-pads around her head where the mask was rubbing a spot.

I'm about to decrease her meds to both 3 times a day, still on Banamine for 10 days and gastro-guard till I run out. Recheck in 2 weeks!!

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Just finished up with another checkup. Chloe is doing good. We get to decrease her Dorzolamide to once a day, gets Banamine for 1 more week (it's a teensy dose daily), still on her Neo/Poly/Dex 2 times a day . Recheck in 3 weeks and the mask and lavage should come off!!!!!

Vet is very pleased with her progress!!

3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Good!

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Update! Sunday I noticed some dried sediment or dried medicine in the lavage. I wasn't too sure the medicine was going through, so I text the vet. She said to just squirt it in her eye and go see her Tuesday. So yesterday, I took Chloe her appointment. The vet checked her out and felt there was no reason to keep the lavage in, so put it came!! She is still mainly on stall rest, with increasing turnout into a small pen. She gets to take the mask off Friday for good!!!!

Vet was very pleased with how Chloe responded to the surgery. Now just the long wait until I can ride her again. Next checkup in a month!!!

6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Nice. Baby steps right?

endurgirl and Larkspade like this.
  7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Went to the vet yesterday. ...... noticed Chloe had some tearing and squinting Sunday, attributed it to the bright sunlight at turnout, so I put her back in her stall. The next day she was better, so I ordered her a mask to help. Then Tuesday morning I got her out of her stall and she was squinting and teared up a little. So I text the vet, took her yesterday. She had a foreign object in her upper eyelid that was maybe gauze, it was soft and white. It had caused a small corneal ulcer, which was beginning to get blood vessels to it to heal it, a culture was done to be sure there was no infection. She's now back wearing her mask, on Miconazole as a prophylactic, antibiotic ointment and banamine for a week. I have to take her to my local vet for a checkup to make sure everything is healing well.

It seems is always something lol, but this is best case scenario, vet was worried it was a flare-up or retinal detachment.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

While annoying & a PITA, I'm so glad it's so simple! This one should be a quick recovery for sure.

bobo and horses and endurgirl like this.
  9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

The vet called yesterday to check in and chit chat a little. She's very excited about how well Chloe is doing and even said I could start lightly riding her and progress as she tolerates. Next appointment is January 3rd.

I'm pleased so far!!!

10. slc

slc Senior Member

You should give yourself a big ole back pat. You did a fantastic job on this. Fantastic.