Cat people, need some medical advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buddytink, May 16, 2018.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

First off this isn't my cat, it's a neighbor's. But they can not afford to take him to the vet. This cat is about 13 or 14 yrs old and he lives outside. He started going over to this abandoned house across the road and at first it looked like her had mange, he started to lose his hair, now all his hair has grown back but he started to lose weight. He eats plenty of food so i know its not from him not eating. However the cat is now a skeleton, you can feel every bone in him, eventhough he's eating . He follows us around and he'll come out to the barn and lay around while we're working. I notice that he walks around with his mouth partly open and he drools a lot. Sometimes there will be traces of pink colored blood in his drool. He's also really dirty because he leaves so much drool in his fur when he cleans himself all the dirt sticks to him. The cat can have a mean streak in him so I'm kind of afraid to pick him up or give him a bath incase its something contagious.

I'm thinking this cat needs to be put down, but its not my cat, and the owners have had him a long time and hate to do it. Do you think this sounds like something that could easily be cured, like say an ulcer or something idk?? Or something more serious like cancer? At first i thought maybe he got into some insulation and then lost his fur and then he got something internally going on from licking himself???

Please don't bash me, it's not my cat just trying to get some ideas for the owners

2. ParkedOut

ParkedOut Senior Member

Drooling isn’t a common cat thing. Makes me think dental.

Also- 13 for an outside cat is really old. So maybe he’s just aging badly.

Hairloss can be allergies or stress (or related to malnutrition).

Unfortunately all need a vet visit.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I agree. There is nothing much todo but get him to a vet. He could have developed ahewr condition, maybe water in his lungs so he is panting because he doesn't get enough oxygen.
    Could be cancer in his mouth or stomach so he stopped eating.
    Could be he is drooling because he is in pain somewhere else.
    If they cannot afford to have this checked out, they need to put him down. I know that this costs, too.
    But leaving him to suffer is not an option imo. As it is he seems to be starving to death...

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Probability of really bad teeth.. That old and never seen a vet,had his teeth cleaned. Could be kidney disease. I know the picture says :dog:,but it is cat

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Go to Facebook, look in on Tiny tapeworms.. They'll show you more than you want to know... It's a rescue group "Tiny Kittens"

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My guess would be kidney failure. Drooling is a classic symptom, as is weight loss even when the cat eats, hair loss and general loss of condition. Kidney failure is not uncommon in cats, especially when they are not kept well.

Early stage kidney disease or diabetes can be controlled but it requires a good deal of care and more money than it sounds like your neighbors would be willing to invest. Even so, it sounds like this kitty is beyond that stage. I think the kindest thing to do would be to have him evaluated by a vet and likely PTS. I doubt this is an easy fix - sounds like an end-stage situation.

I will add that cats are a species that rarely seem sick until they are so sick that it is too late. It's an evolutionary protective thing, but it makes them harder than dogs to see illness in. That's one reason why they need regular vet checks and good care. Poor thing! I hope his owners do the right thing by him!

ETA - being unable to clean himself is a huge red flag that he's very, very ill. Even with the drool, cats are fastidious so a cat that needs a bath is generally a very sick cat.

phantomhorse13, ginster and DelP like this.
  7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Kidney failure.

I'm going through that with my senior cat. He gets only kidney diet prescription food, his numbers have improved since beginning this.

8. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

The cat is suffering and the owners hate to give the final kindness or give proper medical care because they are selfish, period. I would call the humane society or the spca and tell them there is a suffering cat that is not getting medical care. By the way, the owners can be charged and fined for that.

9. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies, they've been thinking about putting him down, but hate to do it if its something that could be easily fixed. I'll let them know what everyone said.

10. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

No fix. and he's lived a long time for an outdoor cat. Time for the final kindness.