Castration: How Much Post-Op Swelling is Normal?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by GNC, Oct 24, 2010.

1. GNC

GNC Senior Member

Smoke was gelded on Friday, so today is day 2 post-op. Yesterday he was fairly swollen all over, including his scrotal area around the incisions. Today, the scrotal area is not swollen at all, and his sheath itself is swollen more than it was yesterday. It's hard to estimate, but I would say that his sheath is maybe swollen to twice it's normal thickness - possibly a little more. It is swollen enough that he seems to have a little trouble keeping himself retracted up into the sheath, but that could just be him being "relaxed" and I am just noticing it more because I am looking for problems.

He is moving around lots, and even jogs and lopes quite a bit. He definitely seems a little sore in the back end, but he is quite content, eating well, and not moping about all day or anything.

So, how much sheath swelling post-op is normal? Thanks!

2. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

There can be quite a bit of swelling sometimes. Are you cold hosing and keeping the sack draining?

3. MissKitty

MissKitty Senior Member+

That sounds about normal for swelling. Ditto on the hosing and cleaning question above.

4. GNC

GNC Senior Member

I have avoided hosing as the vet suggested that IF the swelling is minimal, it could actually cause problems/infection by running dirt into the incisions. The sack itself is not swollen anymore - just the sheath. I have been torn on whether to hose or not, but figured if swelling was minimal I would avoid hosing. I also didn't want Smoke's first associations with the hose to cause him pain. I can, however, hose if necessary.

If I were to start hosing, how long do I run it?

The sack seems to have been draining well - the vet did a good job stretching the skin so that it heals from the inside out.

5. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

Cold hose for 20-30 minutes 2x a day.
    I know some vets like to say not to hose because of the risk that a piece of dirt or bedding gets inside. BUT I have yet to have experienced this problem. Cold hosing helps sooo much where swelling is concerned. And with the pain department also. Tissue gets inflamed and sore and cold hosing helps deal with the inflammation and the soreness. We cold hose every new gelding.
    IF the sack is draining well, I would suggest Vaseline on the front of the hind legs.

6. Sunrisepony

Sunrisepony Senior Member+

Also you could round pen him twice a day for about 20 minutes. Mostly at the Trot. That will keep the swelling down, and you just do it for about 10 days. It's what most vets out here in the Inland Empire Reccomend anyway.

7. GNC

GNC Senior Member

Okay, thanks guys! I will begin cold hosing twice a day tomorrow, and push him around the paddock at a jog as well. Vaseline... He is staying really clean on the legs. Now I am worried he isn't draining enough! Ugh.

8. giddyupgrl

giddyupgrl Registered

If you exercise him 2x's daily for about 30 to 45 mins at a trot or canter it'll hlp with the draining. Just keep a good eye on his sheath and if you see anysigns of infection seek vet care. I had a staph infection set up two months after haveing mine gelded...