Castleton Horse Rescue....legit?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by GotaDunQH, Jan 8, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Hi everyone!

SO....every year my non-horsey sister makes a donation in my name to Castleton Rescue to sponsor a horse named Danielle at Christmas time. I have 2 sisters....one who rides and one who gave it up when we were kids. This is THAT sister and she's not current with the horse industry. My question....is this Castleton Rescue (based on CA), on the up and up? SO many of them aren't and I explained this to her one year, and folks need to be careful where they make donations for horse rescues. Anyone have any info?

2. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Castleton Ranch - CA - Legit? - Chronicle Forums

Go to the last 2 pages to see this year's info on the rescue. They sound like a rescue that does do some rescue but also is trying to become a money maker. They pulled 1.8million while only spending 150,000 on the animals in there care. They also solicited via mass mailing. They send a sob story out then people send the checks.

Personally I would not donate to such a blatant money grab. I won't even donate to HSUS for the same reasons plus sum.

If your sister wants to donate i suggest she finds a local animal shelter that is not affiliated to places like HSUS and send her money or donations like food, leashes and other items to them.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

She could donate to ForeverMorgans,Solitude Morgan rescue or Morgan Safenet.
    Sorry to solicit for 3 great legit rescues.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  4. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

It looks like the President pays herself right at $85,000 a year plus rents her facility back to the rescue for another $22,000 a year. With that and this:

I would tell you sister to give you the cash and buy yourself something horsey....at least you know the money would go towards a horse!

5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Well ain't she making bank

6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Thanks for the information guys. I have no problem with her making a donation in my name...I just want it to go to the right place.

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.