Carbon Monoxide Leak?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NaeNae, Apr 3, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Has anyone ever dealt with a carbon monoxide leak in their home?

Two days ago while BF and I were 2 hours away from home up a mountain scouting for spring bear, we get a frantic call from his sister (our landlord) saying that the CO meter in our suite is going off. Nothing we could do about it at the time so they dealt with it (had a family friend in the fire department pop by and "check" the house. Nothing was "found" so they opened windows and doors to air it out.) They didn't tell us exactly what the reading was.

We get home and meter is reading 0ppm so we shut up doors/windows again and chat about what might be the issue. Gas appliances in the house re 1 gas fireplace downstairs, 1 gas hot water tank and 1 gas furnace both downstairs as well as a gas range stove upstairs. We had the gas fireplace on quite low so they shut that off and we hoped it was that.

Next morning (yesterday) BF is at work, I go out for a few hours, come home and landlord/sister has dropped off a new CO meter for us just in case as we wondered if the other one was defective. So I plugged it in and within 5 minutes it was spouting off a reading of 100+ and climbed to 129ppm.

("acceptable" indoor range is 9ppm, 25ppm should be concerning, 50ppm is when the alarm starts to sound, 100ppm is enough to call 9-1-1.)

Race upstairs, tell the landlord, talk to her husband and he hums and haws about calling the fire department and I INSIST he call the fire department. He does, and they arrive 5 minutes later. I've at this time opened all windows and doors again.

They come through with their reader and basically just confirm that there are on and off high levels everywhere. Inspect lots of stuff, talk with homeowners, basic info is (and please excuse me as my knowledge and info on all of this isn't 100%):
    • Could be venting from furnace? The venting for that is currently out the side of the house instead of the stack that goes out the roof for a few reasons, big one being lots of the work done on house before they owned it wasn't done to code. BF is a plumber and gas fitter and installed the furnace and hot water tank within the last 6 months and has been slowly working at fixing up stuff.
    • The roof to this house will be getting re done soon due to some leaking and the landlords had a friend of the family check it out and I guess the stack where this all is supposed to vent from was leaking into the attic a bit so he put something on top of it partially to stop water getting in which has compromised the venting and is maybe causing the carbon monoxide to be pushed back down into the house?
    • Could be due to a bit of both?
    BF and I tested the hot water tank's venting yesterday twice and it looks to be venting decently but maybe not 100%?

So basically, the fire department said "leave windows and doors open, maybe have gas company out to shut off gas to house and test (which we haven't yet done as BF wants to do some stuff first) and get that venting fixed. They also climbed up on roof and removed the "cover" that was put on the stack.

So we had all doors upstairs and downstairs open as well as fans downstairs running to air the place out and reading went back down to 0ppm. BF and I left for evening to have Easter dinner with his folks, get home around 8:00pm and our meter is reading 35ppm and climbing into the 40s. Our doors and windows were still open, landlord upstairs had shut hers apparently and she said she had run the furnace a bit because her house was cold (don't get me started on that...:cautious:)

So we air out house...again, and try and test to see where it's coming from. Can't figure it out. Stay up until 10 or so and meter goes down a bit. Go to bed, wake up at 11:45pm to the alarm going off, 55ppm. Air house out again, even though windows were still open. Get the alarm to stop finally and leave fans running and windows open all night. Wake up this morning at 4am and it's back down to zero.

I brought my dog with my to work today as I didn't want to leave her at home to suffocate, no idea yet how readings are as no one is home until 2:30 earliest. BF's plan tonight is we are going to first, air out house, fun furnace for an hour and see if it spikes levels. Then air out and run hot water tank to see if it spikes levels. Then hopefully figure out whats causing it. He's going to pull apart furnace to see if there is a broken part (don't remember the name for the life of me). We are also going to inspect chimney/venting stacks to see if a birds nest or SOMETHING is blocking any of them.

But basically right now we are extremely confused, overwhelmed, and at a loss as to WHAT is causing this all of a sudden. Any input, suggestions, advice?! We are talking CO levels that could kill us if we sleep and they get too high. :eek:

It's very frustrating because it seems like there isn't one professional who we can go to who will say "THIS is your problem, for sure." I'm trying to convince BF and landlord to have Fortis (gas company) out today and have them test as their readers are more accurate than the fire departments, and maybe they can pinpoint where it's coming from exactly but they cost to have out and they want to try testing the furnace and hot water tank ourselves, first.

Help?

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

This is your landlord's responsibility and whether she likes the cost or not, she has a responsibility to keep your living quarters safe. That means doing work to code and not doing mickey-mouse fixes by friends of the family.

"Landlord" implies that you pay rent. I don't know Canadian law but I know that in the States, whether you have a signed contract or not, you have an absolute right as a tenant to the quiet enjoyment of your home, and you have the right for it to be safe and habitable.

I'd put my foot down. Call the darn gas company and quick dicking around. This is serious.

Fire Chik and NaeNae like this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

The work is getting done up to code now, by her brother/my BF. It's just been dependent on his time (he works full time at a site as well as has his own side business) and her money (plenty of other house repairs, plus a wedding, etc. lots of stuff she's been paying for). The whole "put this cover on the roof stack" by a family friend was done by a guy who is not a roofer, he has since been talked to and didn't even realize his mistake, as he was asked to do a job that wasn't his specialty. I'm definitely trying to go the route of "this is our safety at stake, it NEEDS to be done" as I did with the husband and calling the fire department. I really would like to just call the company myself, but I'm really trying to convince the BF to do it or have his sister do it as I don't want to step on toes and **** people off. If we don't figure it out tonight, with or without the gas company, I've already arranged to stat at a friends house. But I guess I need to suck it up and not worry about stepping on toes and just do what needs to be done and get the gas company out.

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

You are talking about something that can kill you and your pets.

It's is absolutely the Landlords responsibility. You are being way to nice.

It doesn't matter what her problems are. She must fix any and all issues in a timely and safe manner. If she won't call the gas company then I would call the landlord tenant board.

bellalou likes this.
  5. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Agree with it is the landlord's responsibility. And we don't call CO the silent killer for laughs. One word of advice, if you do call 911 again, or have the gas company out, don't air the house out first. Once you open the windows you will disrupt the CO in the home, and make it near impossible to track where it is coming from. Leave the home closed up, get out, and wait outside for fire to arrive. They will have a much better chance at tracking down the culprit.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

He just broke the lease. Leave. Really. This is beyond crazy. He can't do stuff like this.

7. Fire Chik

Fire Chik Senior Member

Yes! They have a much easier time locating the leak if all the windows and doors are closed up. Once it airs out it takes a while to be able to trace it again.

HayleyS likes this.
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

So BF got home around 4 yesterday and texted me saying alarm was sounding with levels of over 200ppm!

I got home shortly after and we opened entire house air everything out, stayed outside, and I really pressed that we needed the gas company out.

Finally his sister got home and agreed. They ended up coming while I was at the barn and the guy tested every appliance, every inch of the house and he was getting zero readings everywhere.

He said he’s sure it’s faulty sensors. That 75% of his calls for CO are faulty sensors. BF had a box with a few chemicals for work in it that were stored in storage area and we wonder if that was tricking the sensors, he’s put them outside now. Not alarm issues since yesterday and I’ve been home all day feeling fine (besides a head cold) and the reading has been at zero all day.

The brand of this sensor has a big recall a few years ago for about a 6 year manufacturing period and while ours were made after that recall I’m thinking I’m going to call them up and let them know they are still having issues.

9. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

This is the second CO alarm you have put in your place, correct? If it goes off again please do not air out your home before calling folks out to look into it. That pretty much guarantees that they won't be able to definitively say what is going on. Where in your home is the CO located? Is it near any appliances? Or a window close to where a vehicle gets parked?

Dakota328 and bellalou like this.
  10. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

If you get another alarm,please call the Fire Department and do not open a door until they get there!

Dakota328 likes this.