Canter lead issues

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by clja, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:17 AM.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

If it is an issue that has suddenly popped up, even with a history of it, and nothing physically has happened to you to change your riding abities, PLUS she's doing the same with other riders, I'd especially bet it's physical. It could be something as simple as weak around the stifles or something similar, but it could certainly be something more. Usually if your gut is telling you it's not her just being lazy or a training issue, you're correct. Ask me how I know :rolleyez:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    Rhythm 'n Blues and manesntails like this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You need a new trainer.

Horses like to take the easy way, not the hard way. If this horse is the type of horse that won't buck because it's too much effort, and "literally likes to do the bare minimum needed for the job," it makes no sense that she'd rather get pushed into a wrong lead canter 14 times than pick it up the first or second and be done with it.

That's not a lazy horse or a behavioral problem. It's a horse that CAN'T DO IT. Or at least can't do it without it being painful or uncomfortable for her in some way.

You need to investigate and address her issues. Get your saddle fit checked. Even if it was done fairly recently, it can change. I just discovered my saddle fit changed unexpectedly. It happens.

Get the vet to do a full check. Get body work. Find the problem. There is a problem.

It may simply be weakness on that side but it sounds more like something is bothering her. Track it down. She needs to trust you to do the right thing by her.

3. clja

clja Registered

Saddle fit was done two weeks ago it was correct. Vet comes next week and we will go from there. She is just very stiff and not willing to bend tracking left. I hope X-rays will help find a diagnosis and it can be fixed. Like I said tracking left has been an issue the whole time but we did do good with this lead the last few months so it’s frustrating and everything I read online about stifles and Hock and even SI pain only talks about crossfiring at the canter but not this issue

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Had a mare who was so out in the SI that she was tearing and bucking AT A WALK! Literally could not take 5 steps in any direction, not even if someone was leading her.

So trust me, SI issues can range from refusing to bend, to cross firing to simply refusing to let anyone ride them.

manesntails and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

So what does a training session with that horse look like? What do you do with her? Because there are plenty of things you can do to train the bad side of a horse besides cantering that will improve the cantering.

Does she bend correctly at the walk and trot? And how do you bend her?

Best would be you upload a video of you riding her.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Take it easy, you're catastrophizing. The vet needs to get a look at her. And then, yes, things like this get fixed. All the time. The correct instruction is the key.

7. clja

clja Registered

No she doesn’t bend correctly at the walk or trot going that direction. It’s not just us it’s the same when anyone rides her. Different trainers different riders etc. and she has always been that way but this lead thing has just reared it’s head again after many months. She does have a “unique” way of going at the trot that several folks comment on but she’s always been cleared as sound and it never affects her placings at rated shows. She bends her Hocks more than most horses at the trot lifting her hind feet off the ground more than she needs to, instead of the typical swinging motion. It doesn’t match the action of the front. Almost like mild stringhalt but it’s not because she doesn’t do it at the walk or any other time only at the trot. She still tracks up normally and no short striding at all.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

A spinal problem in her neck maybe? Or something neurological? This sounds totally health related. But not all orthopedic problems cause the horse to have pain or lameness.

Please upload a video, we can say absolutely nothing without seeing the problem.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Do you have a video of that trot? I'm curious to see it.