Can we talk about...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ginster, May 16, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

..what happened in Palestine two days ago?
    It keeps playing over and over in my mind....
    The awful dissonance between a smiling Ivanka Trump at the new US embassy and a few miles away the bleeding and dying protesters. Over 2.000 protesters were injured by the Israeli troops who fired into the crowd and used tear gas. Nearly sixty dead, including several children. So far.
    There aren´t enough hospitals or doctors in the region to care for the wounded. Those buildings keep getting bombed.
    The protests are ongoing, the response of the Israeli army hasn´t changed..People keep getting shot, Keep dying.
    I find it hard to voice my feelings on the general situation regarding the Gaza Strip.
    It seems the hatred gets deeper with each generation and the current leaders on both sides are no help in diffusing the conflict.
    Just...where does this end? When there is no one left?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I 'm 100% against any country that is ruled by a religion, let alone one that is being backed by a hypocritical country who, themselves, took over and displaced those living there, committed genicide while doing so and now preach against that, but openly back a religious sect do the same to others, to fulfill some archaic promise written, by them, in book, thousands of years ago.

As if there actually IS some dictum in World government stating that you get your “Promised land“ cuz, ya know, some of your ancestors wrote it down in a book and that makes the ends justify the means.

I don't think Israel has one bit of business there and the true reason for backing them was to have a strategic advantage in the area.

ginster likes this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It seems that there has never been peace in the promised land, because every one thinks that it was promised to them, not the other guy!

I have no idea how one resolves this centuries old conflict...I just keep going back to the thought that organized religion has caused the biggest and longest lasting negative affect on "the holy land"

ginster likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I guess it shows in the clearest, most drastic way possible all that is wrong with religions. All the problems and the violence it caused and causes.
    I agree that "giving" the jewish people "their country back" was to gain a foothold in the Middle East @manesntails. To think that this didn't factor in the decision is naive imo.
    And I do agree that what is happening to palestinians is genocide.
    I can find no other word to describe it. And while I can onsome level understand the reasoning of the Israeli people, I can't condone it. Then again, I have not lived through what the jewish people experienced over thousands of years. So Icannot even begin to understand their way of thinking.
    But from an outsider's pov I find it hard to understand that people who know genocide better than sbyone rlse, who livedthrough it just one lifetime ago, can do the same to others. It just foesn't get into my head.
    I mean, they are bombing schools snd hospitals in retaliation of terror attacks. Frequently and consciously, not byaccident.
    There is no excuse for that. Once you start going after the sick and helpless - and children - you've crossed a line that is very hard to come back from.

Baboo and manesntails like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I saw the area where the protesters were and it was just stunning in that it's just a huge, open area and there are so many, many people there.

For me, there's nothing wrong with religion, but there is something wrong with the people who misuse it.

As far as Israel being wrong, in the context of that time, and why it was formed, no, I don't agree that there was something 'wrong' with founding Israel(many people say there is, but not me). I think that in the context of World War II, it really was the only viable option. And in fact, yes, I think the US did very little to stop the 3r reich when it started killing so many, and that it was good and fair that Israel was established.

I don't even think it's wrong for Israel to defend their territory. Nor do I think there is anything wrong with Palestine doing the same.

What I think is wrong, is that after over 50 years, most of my life, they have not resolved the situation by dividing the disputed territory between Israel and Palestine. And I think that many countries have a role in that not happening, not just them. Other country's roles obviously are less direct, but this is really enough fighting.

There has to be something a little bit higher up the ladder of actualization than throwing rocks and bullets at each other.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    ginster likes this.
  6. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

There were children killed because their parents took them to the area where the protests were being held. Whether or not the embassy thing was right what the heck were their parents thinking? They were using them as human shield, according to Fox News, and were warned to retreat. How this will ever end is anyone’s guess. My guess it will never end.

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Then it must be true...

ginster likes this.
  8. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Well, as we all know President Trump swears all other news is fake. It just happened I was watching Fox at the time. I am no fan of Trump, as I have made my position clear many times. But, when they show video of people being shot, including many women and children, because they were warned to stay away, I’m tending to believe it.

As I said, what the hell is the matter with these parents? Are children expendable for a cause? They are nuts, normal people would not put themselves in the line of fire.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

You answered your own question..YES they are nuts, because no sane people do that.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I read elsewhere that Fox's report was made up.