Can we say shark fin withers? Saddle brand suggestions.

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by mooselady, Jan 27, 2019.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So when the idea of buying Chuck was first suggested my very first question as “what about those withers?” He really has an impressive shark fin, makes him look sway backed, though he isn’t. We found that with padding and shims my Reinsman ‘fits’ him, in as much as it is OK...rather than a long term solution.

If I could wave a magic wand I would just make one huge great shim that I could put under the saddle to make it fit, because I LOVE that Reinsman. So before we get into serious work I am going to have to find something that works better for him, and that I don’t hate!

Now obviously this is going to be a tricky one, and pictures online aren’t going to find the best fit, so am going to have to work with the people I have to be hands on.

I have read elsewhere that a Tucker would be a good place to start, their medium tree might be suitable, and i’m Told that they have a curve, so might fit the back as well. There is no where around here that we can haul to to try a load of saddles on, one store in the city does carry a few saddles now, so will have to hit there with a template to see what they have...I’m somewhat resigned to going through the whole buying and selling thing again from ordering online.

Any thoughts?

Holy shark fin

85A59A04-668D-4EB0-9885-86FBA8CB8995.jpeg

Tucker

7392FADD-71E3-4B26-8D46-6705F2905040.png

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

If you could take a photo from behind and above it would help a ton. As would a straight side shot :)

Rhythm 'n Blues and mooselady like this.
  3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Can do, when? Weather depending.....

4. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

@mooselady Would a custom saddle be an option? Thinking that back will benefit more from something custom than off the shelf guessing.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Yikes! Throw that guy back in the ocean before he suffocates lol. Can you consult a professional fitter?

ginster likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

In the longer term it might be a necessity, I accept that. We both need to be fitter, and I need to be sure he is OK as a Western Dressage horse before we take that plunge.

Not many around here in person, i’ve Reached out to some about long distance help.

DelP and emali06 like this.
  8. ColorMyWorld

ColorMyWorld Senior Member

It has to be western correct?

9. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Is there a good cut-back shim pad available from anywhere?

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yup, Western

Probably....for now I have my saddle padded and shimmed, with my Coopers Ridge pad THE SAM Western Square Pad (32″) | Coopersridge

doublelranch likes this.