Can purebred Friesians have white markings?

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by DriftwoodsQHs, Jan 3, 2013.

1. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member+

I recently saw a colt for sale that was advertised as a purebred Friesian. He had two small rear socks with ermines, an odd star, and a snip, but besides that, his build could pass for a full Friesian. I was under the impression that Friesians are always solid due to some strong white-suppressing genes?

2. 4horsem0m

4horsem0m Senior Member+

I've always heard that the only white they are allowed is a very small star. Hmmm, something to look up. =)

1 person likes this.
  3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member+

No, Friesians have no "white suppressing gene". They were just selected to not have white markings. But of course since in the genetic background there are horses with white markings not all that many generations back it's not totally eliminated.

If you want genetically totally white free horses you have to go for Przewalskis. They were never domesticated.

I've seen a purebred Friesian mare with a small star. I would doubt that a horse with so much white is purebred.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fadrusty

Fadrusty Senior Member

He could very well be purebred but wouldn't be registered. I believe small amounts of white are more acceptable on mares than stallions.

5. simbion

simbion Senior Member+

The Friesian registries only allow a very small amount of white (I think it is restricted to about 2 inches of white for a star). I believe it is possible for them to have other white markings but they would not be able to be registered. It's sort of like the whole chestnut friesian thing. It is possible for them to be 100% pure bred friesian but chestnut. The registries will not approve them (because the breed standard is black) but they are still 100% friesian. I'm not an expert though so you may want to research it a bit or speak to someone who knows the rules.

6 people like this.
  6. aeternal

aeternal Senior Member+

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...151331143104867_1975515624_n.jpg&size=900,674

That guy is a purebred Friesian and has a big blaze. To be fair though, since he is chestnut, his white markings are going to be moreso than if he were black.

The answer is that yes, purebreds can have white, but they wouldn't be registerable. I believe a small star is acceptable, but maybe only in certain cases. So he could be purebred, but I don't know.

4 people like this.
  7. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member+

Thanks guys! :)
    I figured that small stars weren't terribly uncommon, but didn't expect as much white as the colt that I was referring to in the OP.

8. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member+

I've never seen one with leg white before. I would be skeptical (sp?) but I wouldn't say definately not purebred.

My girl had a star
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Faithfully_Lost

Faithfully_Lost Senior Member+

White markings do happen, but most white marked foals end up culled or sold as grade to keep them off the books. I've seen blazes, coronet bands, a sock or two, etc. It's not by any means common, but it's not impossible either.

3 people like this.
  10. sgeesler

sgeesler Full Member

My FHANA reg friesian has a big star, but he has never been to a keuring. I would say his star exceeds their two inch size limits. Some would dye his star black and then take him to be inspected. White happens in these horses, but no one who breeds likes it. My old trainer has a FPZ approved stallion, and she admitted to me that he had produced a few colts with short rear socks and white around the coronary. I have a feeling that my friesian's sire had his breeding license revoked because he has produced so many foals with stars, because he has produced the highest scoring dressage friesians in the world.
    Copy-20120903-00054.jpg

1 person likes this.