Can my saddle be fixed?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by jkligora, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

I had a post on here about my saddle being oiled with too much oil.

Here are some pics of my saddle. It was "professionally" oiled last week Wednesday.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/pictures/gphoto-g241925.html

I want it to go back the lighter color and not stay dark. Is there any hope for this saddle? If not how can I dye it all one color and see if I can sell it.

2. ponypony

ponypony Senior Member

I don't think it looks bad from what I can see in the pictures. Honestly if the saddle is a really good fit for horse and rider I'd say keep it. Saddle shopping can be really difficult, time consuming and expensive. If you want the whole thing the same color you can oil the lighter parts until they darken to match.

3. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

It does not look that bad, you can make the lighter parts darker to match.

As far as going back lighter, sorry that cannot be done.

What happened?
    I would say possibly the Saddle had dirt in the leather and it was not cleaned properly before oiling, the other problem also could be Neatsfoot Oil (or another similar oil) was used which will darken the pigment in the Leather (that is why it cannot be reversed).

4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/help-too-much-oil-293523.html

5. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member+

Sorry about your saddle. :(

It's not likely to lighten back up. For future reference, there is a leather conditioner out there that is for light colored saddles that won't darken them. I believe Lexol makes it.

7. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

When I origionally got the saddle two days before it was oiled by a leather shop it was a light to medium color and in one uniform color. Now there are parts that are very very dark, parts that are the origional color, and parts that are colors in between. I have oiled saddles before and because I just didn't have the time to do it I took it in to have it done. When I've oiled I never had a saddle turn out like this. Within a week it was dried and was the way it looked when I started. I never had a saddle be blotchy all over.

I spent months looking for the right saddle and color as I don't like dark saddles.

8. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

9. horsiehuntersam

horsiehuntersam Senior Member

I would be furious!

^ Since her saddle was professionally done, THEY should have taken care of it.

I would ask for not only a refund, but for reimbursement of the saddle. There is no excuse for a professional saddler to do that. :no:

10. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

I would have if it were any other place than where I took it....I have a family member that works at this leather shop and how she did the saddle is how she was taught to oil saddles. It is a hard subject to talk about.

I either have two options....if the saddle won't lighten up try to darken the rest of it and sell it. Take my money and get a different saddle.