Can my 25 year old horse barrel race in playdays?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WesternRider22, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Is my 25 year old horse to old to barrel race?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

We have 10 acres of pasture land.
    We give them an unlimited supply of hay since it is winter and the grass has died off

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

16 quarts of senior is a very normal amount of senior for a 25 year old 1000 lb horse that can not process feed.... senior feed is a complete feed not a concentrate

WesternRider22 likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

As far as the saddle fit, I would buy a swayback pad because the extra padding would bring the front of the saddle up so it sits level, then, later, as he builds topline muscle, you can go to a 1“ felt pad.

WesternRider22 likes this.
  4. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

Okay, Thanks!

5. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I understand that piece. A horse that cannot eat hay or grass can eat that much senior in parsed out feedings but a horse that IS eating grass and hay and having it divided into two feedings. That's a lot of feed for a meal. I have plenty of horses on senior who also eat hay and grain and none of them needed that much--which would lead me to wonder if the horse has something medical going on.

6. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

When we're his teeth done last? That might be part of the reason he's getting so much feed and staying too thin.

And no offense, but I would find a different horse for that family member to ride. Not sure exactly what "experience" he has, but he's too big for this horse and his position is not great, so it's probably difficult for an old out of shape horse to carry him.

ginster, Whoa and MuckMuck like this.