Can my 25 year old horse barrel race in playdays?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by WesternRider22, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Is my 25 year old horse to old to barrel race?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

2. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member

Who is the rider in the picture?

ginster and mooselady like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Older horses often need more than just hay or pasture. First they loose fat and they they loose muscle. I would start him on a good senior feed like Triple Crown which will help him maintain his muscle and weight and alllow him to live a happier healthier and more useful senior life.

WesternRider22 likes this.
  4. WesternRider22

We do give him senior feed :)

5. WesternRider22

Family members came over for a visit and wanted to ride the horses so I let them. They have experience riding.

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Judging by his pic Id say he may be okay to learn on, but has some condition & conformation issues, that I Wouldnt suggest actively gaming him on.
    He definitely has a 'poverty line' up the butt; and no muscling/ sunken in the hips; hes seriously lacking in the rear-wheel drive area.
    The pace and tall grass makes it a lil hard to tell, but he looks like he has upright conformation, and may be stocked up or arthritic in the right hind leg. Neither are going to hold up well or comfortably running the pattern much.
    He looks like he has a wicked scar on that shoulder, which could compromise those muscles too.
    At the Least he needs noticeable weight and conditioning before you should consider running him much, or going to even a 'playday'. If hes sound now, its worth taking the time and precautions to keep him healthy at his age. Going lame by comparison can be a long recovery, or permanent problem.
    I had a horse who was sound through his 20s and in good shape though noticeably out of condition when he passed @29.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    WesternRider22 likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Sure.
    Just do it for fun. Don't kick and over under him to death to get more than he has to give and you can ride for as long as the horse is willing.

WesternRider22 and ~tiffy~ like this.
  8. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Cutie pie! Feed him well, bring him along slowly and most importantly, listen to his body language.
    Some horses might seem like they ‘enjoy’ going fast, when it might mean he just doesn’t have the condition to carry himself in a non rushed manor.

Arem, WesternRider22 and manesntails like this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In the picture it shows that he has muscle wasting over his croup which indicates he needs more protein and fat.... so I would increase his senior feed. Some of my seniors need 20 lbs of senior feed a day.

ginster, Arem and WesternRider22 like this.
  10. WesternRider22

Okay. We give him 15 quarts usally a day... Sometimes more.