Can mineral oil be given for colic prevention?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by MelissaH, May 29, 2008.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

Question says it all.

I was at my instructors and one of the boarders horses was tying up and she gave mineral oil mixed with feed. Is something you can do for your horse on a planned schedule to reduce the risk of colic?

2. Acme Acres

Acme Acres Senior Member+

Mineral oil is what they use when they oil a horse that has coliced, but the Vet my husband worked for used a gallon and about 2 gallons of water. How much were they giving it?

3. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

My horse was oiled today but what I was asking was if it was okay to mix some in their feed once a week or whatever to keep things moving.

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

WHY were they giving a horse who was tying up mineral oil AND feed? :confused:

Mineral oil on a regular basis is not a good idea. It is indigestible, and over time will inhibit the absorption of nutrients because of how it coats things. It's that coating effect which makes it good to ward off a potential impaction, or help a known one slide through.

5. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

I have no idea. For whatever reason it worked. Horse got better.

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Horse would have likely gotten better despite the oil and the feed ;)

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Or he got better in spite of the oil and feed.

Mineral oil is not something that you want to feed on a regular basis. Though for who knows what reason, some vets recommend it. Maybe they should try taking a few tablespoons of mineral oil a day and see how good their health is.

8. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member+

maybe it's not mineral oil I am thinking of. I always hear about people that drizzle some kind of oil on feed for something....coat? idk.

9. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

I'm betting they were using corn oil or rice bran oil...proper water intake is a great colic preventer...dehydrated horses tend to colic...if your working your horses in the heat electrolytes are also a great idea.

Probiotics are also important for gut health.

I've never heard of anyone using oil for a horse that has tied up.

10. shaiarabs

shaiarabs Senior Member+

if its not mineral oil then you should be fine, if it is mineral oil then ask them to stop at it strips the gut lining as you use it plus you can never give them enough to help with sand either. its best for actual treatment by tubing

if its other oil then it will help with coat and other stuff but it wont do a thing with the sand as its absorbed by the body where mineral oil comes out the other end lol