Can horses smell fear?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by MuckMuck, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member+

This is an old saying in the horse world and I would like to hear your thoughts on the idea and how it might pertain to training a horse.

Can horses smell your lack of confidence and your fear?

2. Tduke

Tduke Senior Member

ive always heard they can sense it, like when your sense they know somethings wrong.

3. Lacys Mom

Lacys Mom Senior Member+

I'm not sure if they can "smell" it per se, but I am convinced they can definitely sense both fear and lack of confidence.

4. Nakoda

Nakoda Senior Member+

I think they "Feel" your fear, or see it more than smell it. Horses communicate through body language, so if your rigid or tense then they can sense that. IDK if fear has a smell;) Also if you are riding they can feel how tense you are compared to a more confident rider.

5. roro

roro Senior Member+

I'd have to agree with this. Maybe if you had a nervous sweat going on they could smell it. For the most part, I think they feel it or see it rather than smell it.

6. BroncEars

BroncEars Senior Member

yeah, every horse knows:) -not smells, but knows
    ive actually worked with a couple of non-confident horse owners+horses.

the horses would do perfect for me, but then their timid owners would come and the horse would freak. then id sternly say their name, and they improved.

its all about confidence and letting the horse know you dont take any bull from them, and wont ever give up untill they do what you want them to.

7. angie j

angie j Senior Member+

My darling daughter, 8, tries unsuccessfully to lie to me. I always tell her, "I can tell by the look on your face." I try to explain 'how' this is done but the subtilties of each person are complex. Our horse know us. The read us with accuracy. I know "I" can often tell when a person is 'scared' and I expect the horse is very good at it. Just like they know within 5 seconds if they have a skilled rider on their backs or someone they can 'play with' ;)

I know when one lacks confidence we are inconsistent. I think this would muddy up our training some.

8. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

Fear, confidence, lack of confidence, anger, joy.. they are very in tune to our "emotions/feelings." That shows up in how they respond to different individuals in like situations.

9. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

Horses are more clued-in to body language than we can ever be, because they are prey animals and we are not. A horse who's "socially inept," in a sense, will quickly get eaten because it won't be able to pick up on the subtle cues from herd members that precede a spook/flight. They've been weeded out of the gene pool to produce a creature that has a better grasp on body language and nonverbal communication than a human, even the most experienced, could ever have.

I don't have data to back this up, but it also seems plausible to me that they can physically smell the change in our sweat and secretions when our bodies become tense and fearful, or aggressive.

10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member+

If you're timid and afraid around your horse, they pick up on that. Then they are sure there's something to be afraid of, so they are.

People think if they are going to introduce something new, they have to ease it up to the horse, sneak it to them. Big wrong. If you're afraid, they're sure it's something to be afraid of.