Can equine dentistry fix this?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Friesiangirl, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I had someone come in and get all his hooks off (he had only two, pretty good, even chewing surface) He wolf teeth can stay in as they don't get in the way, BUT, my horse, has a weird tooth problem going on...
    [​IMG]

This is not the best picture, the teeth are all fairly even, and straight, but between his top middle two, and his bottom middle two, he has a dent. Previous owner said he bit a metal bar, but i'm beginning to think that was a lie. He can chew his food easily, nothing drops out, he can graze fine, it doesn't bother him, i can tap all of them hard and he doesn't even flinch... Weird huh

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

I am sure it could be IMPROVED .. why leave the wolf teeth? are you planning on never using a bit?

Paula

3. Friesiangirl

The way his face it shaped, even pretty thick bits don't bang up against. If it ever does become a problem they will be promptly removed. His wolf teeth are quite low, even the top set.

4. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member

Why spend the money to have it fixed when it's not doing any harm?

And running into a pipe corral, or banging their teeth against it, or biting it, can cause dents.

We had a mare who would continously "click" her closed teeth on the pipes, and she had dents.

5. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

Even still Wolf Teeth can cause a LOT of pain, with a bit ..
    Does your Vet not think they will interfere?

You really should get a GOOD Equine Dentist's opinion on ALL of your horses tooth issues.. I am sure it would be better for him, and you
    all the way around in the long run..

Most take out Wolf Teeth at the time of gelding..
    I had Dens taken out at eight, made a HUGE improvment ..

Just my two red cents,
    Paula

6. briguystu

briguystu Senior Member

You are likely looking at canine teeth if he has top and bottom ones. Do him a favor and have his wolfers pulled, assuming he really does have them. The dent is from repeditive wearing, like rubbing on bars. It's very common and I wouldn't let anyone file his incisor to fix a cosmetic problem.

7. Friesiangirl

Well, i will consider getting them pulled, but they don't get in the way, imho, but i will get the humble opinion of a vet on this one.