Can a goat have milk without being bred?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sorrell, Nov 11, 2009.

1. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

The neighbors goat, which I adopted looked like she had a slightly swolen area above the right (starboard) teat. I checked it and it felt slightly warm, but no warmer than the rest of her, so I pulled on the teat and a sticky clear substance came out. She didn't like that much, so ran, but I recornered her and tried both teats and got milk out of both. It was very oily, sort of a buff color, had no smell, tasted like mare's milk, but was still very sticky feeling.
    There are no other goats around her and she has been in their back yard for over a year, so could not have been bred.
    Is it possible or normal for a goat to have milk and not be pregnant? She was just in heat two months ago and has been at my place ever since. Am very curious about it.

2. Mozarts_Girl

Mozarts_Girl Senior Member+

WOw that's strange! It's impossible for a goat to give milk without kidding, are you sure she's never been bred? And even stranger, it sounds like colostrum, which is the first milk they feed to a newborn kid. Full of all sorts of vitamins and nutrients. WEIRD.

3. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

That is what I am thinking. It may be possible that the neighbors took her off somewhere to be bred and brought her back and didn't think it took, but I would think they would have told me. She has been peeing a lot lately too and was not sure if that was normal as it seems to be a nervous reaction she does.
    If I can pin someone down next door... they are hardly ever home, I will have to ask. She was only six months old when they got her, so she has never been bred that I know of.

4. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

hmmm, I found this on a website
    :

Surprisingly, the occasional doe does produce milk without kidding, if she has a 'false pregnancy'. Then she shows all the signs of being pregnant and even produces milk, but there is no pregnancy and no kid at the end of it.)

1 person likes this.
  5. Mozarts_Girl

Mozarts_Girl Senior Member+

Wow! I never knew that! I've been breeding for about 5 years now, and I know someone who's been breeding for 25 and we've never had that happen O.O

6. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

If it is for real, I will have to document it and see how she reacts further down the line. I know she wants to eat non-stop, but she has always been like that.

7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member+

Yes they can have a false pregnancy, I had one do that to me....stupid goat I was so excited to get a kid out of her (she was super nice lol) and all I got was milk and a bag of fluid:(

8. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member+

It could be a precocious udder.

9. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

So does this mean I need to treat it with antibiotic ointment since I probably drained out the protective bacteria? I looked at it today and the tiny bit of swelling... about golf ball size and soft, not hard was hardly visible. I actually would not mind getting milk from her, but don't think she would stand still for it, don't have anyplace to hold her other than a collar and lead line and don't have time to milk her daily.
    Hmm... will watch her and see what happens I suppose. After I got that little bit of milk back, she would not come to me and acted afraid of me. She actually acted afraid of the milk coming out.
    Normally she will let me touch her anywhere, but when the milk came out she jumped and ran.

10. pandorasmom

pandorasmom Full Member

I've raised goats for going on 9 yrs., and did have one doe bag up, but never had a baby. She was fine in a few weeks, never treated her, and she was fine the whole time, still eating,etc.
    I have one that was bred one time, had delivery complications(baby couldn't come out on it's on, had vet out,etc.) she bagged up and to this day (It's been almost 3 yrs.) she's still keeping milk in her bag. Never anything but a few squirts, however, she still has milk. Since then she's not had a baby either.

I wish you the very best with her! I hope all goes well. ;)