1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Calypso foaling watch and wait.

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Dona Worry, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So, here are the pictures of her udeer and big belly, from today.
    Okay, deleted the pictures, going to try and upload them RIGHT SIDE UP. Geesh.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Belly pictures aren't so great, but I JUST got home, will take better ones tomorrow!

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Doesn't have much of a bag, so I'm guessing she has at least 3 weeks to a month

dollymama likes this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Vet said a month or two. Not terribly specific, but this is from a blood test and visually looking at her, soo. . .

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So last night when I let her out in pasture, she charged out at a fast canter, UP the hill, came to a SLIDING stop like somebody threw a snake at her, spun around like a top, kicked the air, and went charging up to the jersey heifers, who wisely fled into the brush. Then she trotted back down the hill to her pasture mate and coaxed HER into frisking about!!!!
    This mare is going to be the death of me.

7. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

So.. she is pregnant now? Must have missed it. Hoping for a healthy foaling.

Sarai likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Yup. So not only did her previous owners allow her to become about 300lbs underweight, anemic, full of worms, grow long and chipped feet, sharp and long teeth, but they also let her get pregnant under those conditions.
    Oh, and she was sick too, but that also could have been from the kill pen she landed in.
    I am not happy about it. At all. Everyone around me is SO EXCITED FOR ME!!!!
    Which is good, because I am about ready to cry over it. And she is looking so good, finally! I just want her to be BETTER. To be healthy and pain free and not be so scared all the time.
    It is so damned UNFAIR for her to have a foal, after everything else.
    And now I worry every time she moves faster than a walk. I need to stop and trust that if it was bad for her or the foal she wouldn't do it.

WildHorseGirl, Varisha and Sarai like this.
  9. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

You are acting like you have the ONLY mare in poor condition having a foal. Please relax. Mares in worse condition have foaled, and both mare and foal have gone on to lead healthy lives. Please relax. Stay vigilant, call your vet, prepare as much as you can, but please get over the fact that she's pregnant. She is pregnant. Your fretting changes nothing. :rolleyez:

Friesiangirl, Sarai and Dona Worry like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I know that other mares have had it much much worse--but I can still be angry that people are careless enough to let it happen in the first place.
    She is feeling good, though, and she makes me smile.
    Look at this grumpy mug. She wants to go to PASTURE, not pose for photos. 20160718_192932.jpg

WildHorseGirl likes this.