Calvenza and Vetera Vaccine Confusion

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Quarter Girl, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Senior Member

So my first "trainer" (not a super trainer) explained how they do vaccines. And when I first got my filly the trainer did them cause I had no vaccine knowledge and I trusted her at that point so I just believed it was done correctly. Now for the last while I've been educating myself on vaccines because I do give my own vaccines. When she did my filly who had no previous vaccines so these where her first ones. she gave Vetera EWT/WNV then a week later the Calvenza EIV/EHV,KV. Waited 4 weeks then gave the Vetera then the Calvenza a week after. Then advised me to give both in spring every year.

I now understand the Vetera needs 2 shots initially with 3-4 between the shots. Then every year after that and when there's an anticipated exposure. So everything is good there. Is this more of a spring vaccine right? Or fall?

So this is the Calvenza.
    Calvenza®
    Here the instructions given are "Using aseptic technique inoculate horses IM with a 2 mL dose. Administer a second 2 mL dose IM in 3-4 weeks using a different injection site. Administer a third 2 mL dose in 3-4 weeks IM or IN."
    What I understand is that the horse gets 3 Calvenza shots initially. 3-4 weeks apart. The first 2 are IM and the last is IM or IN. Is this it for the vaccine and there good till their dead or am I missing something? It doesn't say to re administer once annually or every six months or whatever.
    And where the Calvenza vaccines given gone to waste on my filly? She got it once at 11 months old, a second times 5 weeks later. And once this spring cause I had followed the "trainers" direction. And again spring or fall is best?

Sorry for the sermon. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

The EWT/WNV vaccine should be given in the spring at least 2 weeks before mosquito season starts. The influenza and herpes vaccine isn't so much seasonal, though disease from these is considered more common during the fall and winter due to environmental conditions. The influenza and herpes vaccine is not effective for more than 6 months, to my knowledge. They appear to have done 9 and 12 month duration of immunity studies, but the link on their website wouldn't open so I couldn't see what kind of result they had.

You really should always contact your veterinarian to discuss vaccine programs for your horse rather than depending on other owners or trainers.

3. Quarter Girl

Ok thanks. I'm booking an appointment for the vet sometime and I'll be sure to bring it up. Thanks!

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

This....I have always taken vets advice on what is needed, I used to do my own, now Fergie gets her vet day in spring, vaccinations, teeth check, and general once over, I prefer that way now.

5. Quarter Girl

Ya it went somewhat like
    Trainer: "I vaccinated your horse"
    me: "oh?"
    Trainer: "ya I dewormed her too, I'll vaccinate her again. do these both once a year after"
    I wasn't impressed. I think I'll do what you do moose lady it seems more appropriate. Like I take my farm mutt to the vet every year why wouldn't I take my horse.
    Speaking of teeth. This "trainer" looked at a 2 year old and she was enraged the other owner had a vet look at this 2 year old teeth and just filed the edges a little. Seemed like a very strange reaction especially cause there could be caps to check for that everything's normal. Then said trainer began to brag her born n' raised horse didn't start loosing caps till he was 3.
    My filly hasn't lost any yet should I get the vet to look at that too?

Cynical25 likes this.
  6. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Definitely speak with your vet, as vaccination recommendations are different based on your location and what you do with your horses. It's doubtful the previously dosed vaccinations were a total waste of money, but your vet may or may not wish to do some extra boosters.

What I vaccinate in North Texas (WNV/VEWT/Flu/Rhino twice yearly, Rabies annually, Strangles only if showing/boarding) is different from what I did when I had backyard horses in Michigan (basic annual shots,) which was different from my 300-stall show barn in Ohio who regularly hosted shows (Strangles/Flu/Rhino was quarterly, VEWT twice yearly.)

Quarter Girl likes this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That would make me want to move barns to be honest......no one gives routine treatments to my horses without clearing it with me first.

BroadaxJuniorMint likes this.
  8. Quarter Girl

Yes, I had no where to put her when I got her so she stayed there for 2 weeks but came home asap.