Cairo - Back to work

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by JinxedDream, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

The weather is finally better, Cairo is back on pasture and he will have equine friends in a month! He is definitely not agreeing on the whole *back to work* thing.

I am using this thread to track our progress this summer. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Goal for this weekend --- get in the saddle, stay in the saddle and walk one loop around the yard

So far all I have managed is to get on and get assistance in practicing my involuntary dismounts. We have been doing 4-6 sessions of ground work per week since February 2017 and he was kinda broke to ride before being laid up on injury leave in September 2016. Hoping this weekend I succeed or I will have to send him to a pro trainer when we move.

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Sounds like things will be great for him!

What's he doing? Care to share saddle pictures? Sure, it could just be a fresh horse thing, but it does seem odd that he is bucking SO much and SO hard to get you off that many times.

(Really, I just want you to post more pictures of the handsome guy....)

3. JinxedDream

No photos right now, I'll try later. He just bucks and spins. Saddle fits great, better than before, I've checked every time, so likely need a new saddle when he develops muscle. He's not in pain, ruled that out too. He's had me hit the ground twice, and one involved my mistake, I wasn't in the saddle properly when he started so I came right back off. I didn't try yesterday, we lunged, did more groundwork, all tacked up. Hoping to try later today, going to do it in a different yard and my dad is going to hold him a lunge line so he can't spin around. I can ride bucks but the spins are what do me in.

He was a known issue to ride when I bought him, I'm just surprised how much harder this is. He did buck every time I rode for the first week after I bought him but with 4-6 rides per week he calmed down, especially after we stopped using a bit. This is the first time I've actually come off him, the spinning is new. He's also in better condition and on better food. One of his feeds was causing him to be extra spooky, so I took him off it again last week. This horse is not normally spooky, he's quite brave and curious, however that curiosity did nearly kill him. He was on that feed the last time I tried riding so hoping that helps too. Noticeable difference within just this week, he's calmed down some and he doesn't have a melt down over every little thing. Mentally he's not quite the same horse he was before the accident and that is another hurdle. All I want to do is ride at a walk before we move so that it happens in a yard he's very familiar with.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Straight up - I feel if you can't even mount up without him acting up & getting you off....it's time to call in reinforcements.

Something is up - they don't just choose this behaviour, and while you have excuses, i doubt any are valid enough to warranty this behaviour.

5. JinxedDream

I came to the same conclusion. I don't know what is wrong, it should not be this hard. I have him booked in with a professional. She's coming to evaluate his behavior on Tuesday and if she thinks he's suitable for her refresher training course, he's going there for 30 days. He blew up tonight, I have no idea why, I did everything exactly the same as yesterday, yesterday went great. My dad was watching (for safety reasons) and he agreed that something is wrong but we don't know what. I did not try to get on him.

Arem and Faster Horses like this.
  6. Faster Horses

Good plan! Let us know what the trainer thinks.

JinxedDream likes this.
  7. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

is he exploding after being ok for a bit? how does he work into the bucking? what is his eye saying when he does it? does he seem confused, or fearful? does he have a dirty expression? I feel like there is something to his story that's been missed so far.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. JinxedDream

Well tonight he flipped himself over after I finished tacking him up. I did not tie him up, I had him on a lead because he's been pulling back so I just had him stand where he's normally tied (the pulling back has been an issue since I got him, had someone out to help with that, now its back, since a vaccination gone wrong earlier this spring). I didn't want to work on tying today. Groomed, cleaned out his hooves, he moved a bit but I correct him and tacked him up, no issues until I stepped back from bringing up the cinch. He did look a bit concerned, so I took a step back (so I would have been in front of his shoulder facing him). I asked him to step over, and he pulled back, I dropped the lead (no gloves on), he landed on his haunches and then went over backwards. I have gone over this 100 times tonight. I didn't overdo the cinch, he wasn't tied, everything was the same as the day before. I do know he was "frozen" or locked up if that at all makes sense when I asked him to step over and I know that what set him off was when I put my arm out to ask him to step over. It is the exact same reaction he will get when tied up, only he wasn't tied. I feel really horrible because I took such care to make sure I was doing the same thing as the day before. He was perfect on Saturday, I was thrilled and I was looking forward to maybe trying to get on him. He was standing quietly tied up a few minutes later because I walked away to take a deep breathe, it was scary to watch him go over like that and not understand why he did it and how I caused that.

He is a more anxious horse, quite responsive/reactive. You don't have to use much pressure with him, just pointing with my arm will get him to step over, or walking towards his shoulder backs him up, etc. I rode him in a halter for several weeks last summer before getting our flower hackamore setup. He is great on trails, I rode him outside of an arena all of last summer and we've been ground-driving on the trails this spring.

The bucking and spinning is the instant my leg goes over him and my butt is in the seat. I'm careful, I don't slam down, I probably leaned over his back 3-5 times over 3 different sessions before I threw a leg over. He is not dirty about it. He's never been like that other than he kicked me badly when I first got him and handled his hooves. He is rushing when I first get on him (before) until we do some warm-up 8-figures, etc. He bites, a habit he came with that is not tolerated but if he's getting fussy, he tries to bite whoever is closest to him.

He's from a show barn, I bought him May 2016 underweight with no muscle. I got his weight up, found out his wolf teeth making bits an issue and he is so light that bitless suits me fine (otherwise I'd pay for him to have the teeth out). Teeth were done per vet bill from the seller on May 2 2016, hooves are done recently, he did that with no issues. He gets worried/anxious but normally we work through that. All I know about his past life is that he didn't preform as a hunter/jumper so the people wanted him gone. Based on my experience with him, I think they asked too much of a young horse that was not fit to handle what was asked. He's 7 years old per my vet's guess. His training is purely the basics. He was injured with in a life-threatening accident in September 2016 and has not been ridden since. Vet cleared him for riding in December.

I'm not making excuses, somewhere I made a mistake, I can't find it, I don't want to get hurt so I called a professional.

9. Faster Horses

I know this is a super trendy thing to say in the horse world currently....

But I'd suspect ulcers.

10. JinxedDream

Explain? I had my thoughts on that in the past but not lately.