Buying Foal In-Utero

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Breezy2011, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

I have been thinking about buying a foal in utero and have started doing some research on it. I know colour and gender aren't guaranteed (unless colour testing is done, then it can be predictable, but gender is still a 50/50). I also know that there must be a contract in place to make sure that if the foal dies while in the mare owners care, I get my money back or something else we both agree on, etc. But what else should I be thinking if I decide to do this? Pros and cons of buying in-utero?

The reason I thought of this was because I was considering breeding my mare, but I don't have any experience with foaling and newborn (first 24 hours) foal care. I do have experience caring for broodmares and experience working with suckling and weanling foals, but I thought until I get more knowledge on everything, I better leave that to the experienced breeders. I still want another foal project though. I got my 2 year old filly as a weanling, and my 6 year old mare as a yearling, both untouched. So there is no worries there about what I am doing training wise.

Does anyone have experience with buying in-utero? Any pros to buying unborn instead of at weaning time? Any cons? Any good articles online I should read? Please share any and all experiences!

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Unless you want a highly sought after cross/bloodline or you know a broodmare and want an offspring out of that mare by the stallion of your personal choice, why bother. Just buy a weanling of the bloodlines you like.

dollymama, ginster, JStorry and 2 others like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In utero sales are usually done on very high end horses and the unborn foal is sold at a discount to a weanling priced foal with the purchaser taking the Risk. More often today in breeds that allow it, an embryo is purchased and put into a rented recipient mare.

Remember that here is far more at risk in raising foal than just getting it in the ground and nursing. You have a conformation, personality at risk which are far more important than color or sex.

It is far less Risky to find one healthy and on the ground that meets all requirements and pay the weanling/yearling price.

4. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

Thanks for the replies. I am interested in the in-utero puchase of a foal from one breeder whom breeds great quality AQHA horses with more rare colors (champagne). I was interested in buying a weanling this year, but the breeder told me she sold already to someone in France.

This breeders stallion is not available to the public, and the dam of the weanling I was interested is confirmed in foal again and her 2018 foal is available now by the same sire. This cross has had I believe now 5 foals, oldest being between 6-8 years old. I have not personally met these horses, only pictures and information on them. Nothing bad has stood out at me.

Now if it doesn't work out with this breeder then the plan would be just to look at buying a weanling next fall. But since I am trying to get one from a certain breeder, who doesn't usually have much for sale once the foals are on the ground, I thought I would try this.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

A lot of money to spend just to get a horse that's a particular color. So, if that is your have-to-have, just pay the money and take whatever pops out, because, basically, that's what you are signing up for. The mare owner has the perrogative to build the contract which you have no say in.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

IMPO, people that genuinely breeds for "rare colors" do not usually also fit into the high quality category.

color should be the last thing you are thinking about when breeding

Oaks, JStorry, bwahorses and 3 others like this.
  7. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

This person breeds foundation bred quarter horses. They are well built, conformationally correct and she sells all over the world. We are in Canada, and she chooses her broodmares from breeders all over Canada and the US. What I am looking for in a new foal project is a conformationally correct, well bred foal. Color is just a bonus.

I believe personality and train-ability has a lot to do with the sire and dam, not just completely random.

8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Ah, that seems to be the business model. Keep them rare by not covering outside mares and sell the few for astronomical prices. And the mare is maybe not even the dam you woud prefer.

You really want to support that with your money?

bwahorses and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. bwahorses

bwahorses Full Member

What you are paying for primarily is color:sick: with the odd exception.most of these breeders that build their breeding program around producing the more rare colors & sacrificing the quality of horses:cautious: . would you be wanting said foal if knew it was going to be some common red base color ?? color breeders are generally some unknown/unproven pedigree with mediocre conformation. You would be at advantage to pick a baby already on ground.
    In utero purchases are not all bad if you are buying from a program that has proven performance lines & are after horse set for discipline they breed.Tested crosses that known to produced quality offspring of athletic abilty,sound mind & conformation, but this doesnt sound like that senerio.:no:
    If I wanted certain type of baby i'd talk to sucessful breeder of those types & see what they may have coming,they usuallly have a couple crosses that u may like. When they are born then pick one you like best;)

10. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

If this is the place I'm thinking of they do have some very nice horses. Is it in Alberta OP ? I know they have a very good in utero program if it's who I think it is