Bute or Banamine?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RidingMo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. RidingMo

RidingMo Full Member

I have recently heard that bute and banamine target different types of pain. I am aware that bute is good for inflammation associated with injuries. I have also heard that it is better at treating joint/muscoskeletal pain than banamine. Supposedly banamine is better at targeting pain associated with gut/stomach issues (e.g. why it's used in colic). Is this true? I'm trying to decide which to use for my arthritic old gelding on a 12+ hour trailer ride. Which would be better?

2. Naomie

Naomie Senior Member+

i too am curious about the difference of Butt and Banananmine....lol :p no really, i am curious...

3. macanddyna

macanddyna Senior Member

isn't bute an noninflammatory where as banomine is a muscle relaxer? Or am I totally wrong?

4. BigRedHorse

BigRedHorse Senior Member

Both are non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. Generally, bute is used for musculoskeletal pain (soreness, injuries, etc), and banamine for stomach issues (colic/gas). If you're not too familiar with these drugs, definitely talk to your vet before you use either one!!

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

What BigRedHorse said :)

Neither are muscle relaxers.

Both are NSAIDs - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

[​IMG]Bute
    Banamine

Never mix the unless the only alternative is death ;)

6. macanddyna

macanddyna Senior Member

sooooo glad there's a horse health forum to spook around. It's amazing how much misinformation I've picked up in everyday life :eek:

7. Donavans Fire

Donavans Fire Senior Member+

It's not a perfect comparison but I figure you give bute in situations where you'd want an advil and give banamine where you'd want Rx painkillers. Usually it's bute for stiffness or recovery. Banamine in more emergency-ey situations like colic or if a horse just sustained a pretty bad injury.

I'm not positive but I think banamine is stronger. Plus it's easier to give in emergency situations since bute is usually sprinkled over food while banamine can be injected or given in the mouth.

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

bute also comes in paste and injectable form.

Banamine also comes in paste, and the injectable can be given Orally as well. however, while it is labled as IM or IV... i do NOT recommend it be given IM

9. macanddyna

macanddyna Senior Member

it's supposed to be very dangerous to give IM isn't it? my former trainer has known 2 horses that died that way.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+