Built downhill

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cowpony, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cowpony

cowpony Senior Member+

My mare is 3 years old (march).
    She is built downhill, really croup high. I have been hoping she would grow out of it.
    At what age do YOU think young horses are done growing skeletal wise and just accept that fact that your horse is built downhill?

2. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Senior Member

She's likely still growing, I wouldn't worry about it! My guy gained height until he was about 4.5 years old. He is SLIGHTLY downhill, but given his sire and dam both are, I was expecting it. He can MOVE uphill when ridden correctly though, which is more important, IMO.

I would just let her grow some more!

cowpony likes this.
  3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

At 3, if she's REALLY downhill, then while she will probably level out some, it's highly doubtful she'll level out all the way.

4. cowpony

cowpony Senior Member+

[​IMG]

This is the only picture I have of her right now. You can't see her confo great because she is under saddle and looking away from the camera. But you can see how high the point of her croup is and she also has a high tail set.

But it still gives an idea of how downhil she is....Any chance she will even out?
    Sire is built uphill if anything and dam is level.

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Actually, I can't tell a thing how downhill she is lol

If her sire and dam are level or better, chances are she will end up that way.

What about THEIR parents? It's entirely possible that her hill-ness goes back to one of them.

cowpony likes this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

OP...has she been growing up downhill, then level, then downhill again, then level? Not all horses go through a downhill stage. In my experience, if the downhill is slight, then levels out, the goes slight again, then levels out....good chance the end result will be level. But I've seen TONS of moderate-high downhill horses, never quite catch up and remain downhill.

7. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member

I know nothing about the subject matter, but I just have to say, she is GORGEOUS!!! What a pretty girl! :D

8. barrelgirl8899

barrelgirl8899 Senior Member+

I normally see horses stop growing/filling out at around 4 to 4 1/2.
    But then there are some oddballs. My freind had a colt that stood 15.2 as a 2 yo. He is now 8 and is still 15.2 and not a hair taller. And again, My friend has had this mare since weaning. Stood 15 hands as a 3yo and a 4yo, and at 4 1/2 yo. At almost 5 she had a growth spurt and measures at 15.3.
    *shakes head* you really never know.

9. jasper45

jasper45 Senior Member

She sure is pretty i love palominos she might even out if dam was level and sire was level.
    Is she registred i love her looks,in the pic she doesnt look too be to down hill but hard too tell with the saddle on.jasper45

10. CLOUDNINE

CLOUDNINE Senior Member+

I can't tell anything from the photo other than she is gorgeous!! :D I would look for her to grow up until she 4 or 5 then fill out a little more.