Building a riding arena

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Aug 31, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Now if it were a width issue it'd probably be an issue! I feel better now thank you. <3 I shall have a bada$$ competition sized arena that no one will know is too short to the nekkid eye.

mooselady likes this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@slc - you’re showing your lack of knowledge and understanding of the old masters. There’s a reason the rings are set up the size they are and with the letters placed as they are.

There is a specific number of tempo steps that each half circle or quarter circle should have. Any adjustment to the size of the ring WILL throw these off and affect the balance of the horse. Will every ride notice it? No. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

While 10’ really is not that big of a deal, and while spread out over the entire 60m length it doesn’t seem like much - and it really isn’t much - but it means the circles will not be proper circles. Sure most people never ride a proper circle, but the goal should be to ride proper one! With the markers set up in a ring that’s not regulation size - that will be physicially impossible to do.

But everyone has to make sacrifices & work with what they have. Showing eventing level dressage or low level dressage, this will be less of an issue for sure, but if there is a way to gain the extra 10’ I would most certainly suggest it :)

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  3. CarlisleChipper

I just ordered the book The Principles of Riding so I'm excited to learn those kinds of details. And as Denny Emerson said recently
    "
    So, you young or not so young riders who aspire to becoming excellent----You can acquire almost all of the exact same skills on that inexpensive horse back home as the kids in Wellington are doing on their gazillion dollar horses at the huge and expensive shows with their gazillion dollar rigs and their gazillion dollar coaching and their gazillion dollar life style.

Sitting the trot, developing that independent seat

Developing a "Deadeye ****" eye for a distance

Learning what it feels like to come galloping down at a fence and figuring out what to do about it

Getting tough and hungry and driven to get better

Reading and studying and understanding your craft

No, you will not be as likely to feel as much pressure as at Dublin or Wellington or at some big English event as at some Podunk show back in East Bufarb, but you can deal with that later.

And, no, you will not be pushed as hard by competing against Susie Nobody as against Sally Wunderkind, but you can deal with that later.

And, no, you will not be jumping 6 foot courses on Old Blunderbus as on Grunderweiestermakenziedieter from Holland or Germany, but you can be jumping things that are hard at your local level.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you can choose to think like a victim of the system ,or you can fight back. I guess you can tell what I think is better.

The horses in these photos were not expensive by the standards of that era, and I learned a lot on them, by just going out and thrashing around, learning as I went by trial and error. If I had waited for the stars to align, I would still be waiting."

MzCarol and mooselady like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I've been reading the old masters since 30 years before you were born. This is not lack of understanding.

5. CarlisleChipper

Well this project is picking up again! I found someone to do the labor for a good price. Now just pricing out base delivery. Instead of using a clay base we have decided to use caliche base with crushed limestone and 2-3 inches on top of my own sand. I'm hoping to get this started in the next few weeks. I've been able to get some "family sponsorship" to help with costs. We don't need a loan but are grateful for gifts towards the expense. After this I will be able to bring in another rider and charge more for board!

ChestersMomma, equinitis and ginster like this.
  6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I am stupidly excited to see your arena develop!

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  7. CarlisleChipper

Thanks! Should be starting here in the next few weeks!

8. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Just read through everything. I'm insanely jealous! Especially the part about your hubby wanting to spend more time with you :love: and you getting the arena finished at home professionally as a means to that end. Smart woman! (y)