Building A Barn

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by ExtremeMustang, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ExtremeMustang

ExtremeMustang Registered

:horseon2::help::applaud:So, my friend and I are entering the Extreme Mustang Makeover this March, and just found out the housing has specific requirements that our local barn does not meet. We have started on our project to build a barn in my friends 4 acre yard, which is a five minute walk from the local barns facilities. We are going to have two 10x10 run ins, and a 20x20 round pen. Her dad is an experienced builder for animal shelters, but I just wanted your opinion on whether you think its realistic to build the run ins by March. Thank you so much!

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

Run-ins are easy, can go up QUICK! ;) Why only a 20' round pen? That is a bit small...

Varisha and phantomhorse13 like this.
  3. froglander

froglander Senior Member

My shelter for my mustang was put up by my brother in a weekend or two? Then there was an attached 24x24 pen made of 6' tall, heavy duty corral panels.

The posts had been put in prior, but everything else was pretty much done while I was gone with a friend picking the horses up.

Run-in under construction (brother and a friend of his)
    [​IMG]

Finished shelter with pen the day my mustang came home (he was approx 2)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ExtremeMustang

Oh, what size do you recommend? Your right that does seem a but small now that i think about it. That is the minimum required size for the Mustang makeover, but a larger one would be nice

5. ExtremeMustang

6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Start with the small pen, 24x24 is a nice size as it is easy to make out of 12' corral panels. You can graduate to a bigger pen once you are able to get a halter on and off.

phantomhorse13 likes this.
  7. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Full Member

My DH and I just extended one of our run-in sheds last weekend. After 2 solid days of work, its 90% done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This weekend, we plan to shingle the roof and to paint, then it will be complete. If we can do it in a couple weekends, you should certainly be able to get it done before March!!

Agree that you are going to want to start off with a small round pen but it would be ideal to be able to extend the size as the horses get training on them. Our round pen is 50' and works well for our Arabs.

Varisha likes this.
  8. ExtremeMustang

Okay! Thank you!

9. ExtremeMustang

Okay, Thank you! I love your run in!!

phantomhorse13 likes this.