Build Vs Buy (Round Pen)

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Aug 29, 2018.

1. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

Guys looking at getting at 50ft round pen and a 10x10 attached open stall. My question is to build or buy. My 4 main concerns are
    1.Price
    2.Safety
    3.Durability over time
    4.Practicality

I'd love to hear everyones opinions.

*Edited to include:
    This will not be made of pallets, etc it will be made out of lumber. Granted we will go the economic friendly way but not enough so to cut corners on safety and durability.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Buy 13 12 foot panels and a gate and make ya a 60 footer. Much more reasonable to ride or work from the ground in with that extra 10 feet.

Some dealers will give you a discount if you buy more than 10 panels at a time. I got 15%off.
    Beauty is, with panels, you have multiple uses for them: use them as temporary stalls, separate a horse at feed by setting up three against the fence at feed time in the pasture, can move the pen to another spot, use them to make a shoot for a horse that has to be run into a trailer ( had to do that with a couple goats I had.) More versatility with panels and even I, at 5' 1“ can move one at a time all by myself.

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

It is faster to buy panels. We are making ours out of lumber due to the fact that they are our trees we are cutting, the milling is "free" (husband trades heavy equipment mechanic work for milling) and anything metal tends to deteriorate quickly here on the coast.

Price - Depends on materials and as I noted our wood is basically free.
    Safety - Its horses, nothing is safe enough.
    Durability Over Time - Personally just due to my location, wood is more long lasting.
    Practicality - Panels have the upper hand here because you can dismantle them more easily.

4. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

Thanks guys. Well depending on the price I'm thinking panels. Just because I do plan to move in the future 1-3 years depending on the situation and property. I think for now I'll go with panels. Then once we move think of something more permanent. Eventually I want something like this but there would be things I would change. a76e6c9b51ab2c64ad8ad1660b305411.jpg

kodemiester, Arem, Baboo and 3 others like this.