Featured Buffalo Saddlery Company...Good, Bad, Mid-Grade?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by MikeHulbert, Jan 28, 2009.

1. MikeHulbert

MikeHulbert Full Member

Looking for a trail saddle, and found a Buffalo Saddlery saddle, fairly new, for $250.

Seems cheap, and I pretty much understand the whole, "you get what you pay for" theme...but I have never heard of them, so looking for your thoughts???

Here is the saddle, which is what I am looking for...plain and simple....but I don't want a junk saddle that I will have to replace after a year or three

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. Chasin_3_Cans08

Chasin_3_Cans08 Senior Member

Junk, It wont last you long, you can find a better named saddle for that price. sorry.

3. shenanigans

shenanigans Senior Member+

Run, definately not even worth that price. See how the seat sits on top of the skirting & the stirrups hang...its badly made with cheap leather to boot. Not to mention the tree would be horribly weak.

4. xlilxonex

xlilxonex Banned

Junk, definately go brand name =).

5. luttrellfarms

luttrellfarms Senior Member

I have both sold Buffalo Saddles and ridden in them. Generally speaking, they are a good saddle for the money. However, this is one of the less expensive ones. This price is close to what you could purchase this saddle for new. As far as the tree, they are pretty tough. This saddle in particular will set you up straight in the saddle. The stirrups are a little farther back than I prefer (right under you); however, I know people that prefer this.

6. SouthernTrailsG

SouthernTrailsG Senior Member+

They are not bad, price is about 50.00 to 75.00 too high in today's market.

7. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

Trust me they are not that great. I used to sell them at the Feed store I worked at. You get what you pay for. The ones that I sold were purchased at 250 and sold retail at 350. They are made in Mexico and are peiced together with alot of glue and tacks. I called them "fiddle f art" saddles for thats all your going to get out of them. You wont get much hard riding out of them or lasting looks and I have seen some symetry problems with them when the panels where put on underneath the saddles (the fleece covers the panels). If I had the choice between a India made saddle and a Mexican saddle I would go for the Mexincan saddle. At least thier leather is leather.

8. shenanigans

shenanigans Senior Member+

This sums up these saddles perfectly, I couldnt agree more. We had some bought for our dude line horses & trust me they didnt get hard used, it took very little to twist the trees & the stirrup fenders were always comming apart.
    One the horn actually broke off, it was held on by the wrap & that was it.

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member+

A friend of mine bought a Buffalo...hunk of junk. Workmanship aside, they don't fit well at all...they aren't balanced across the back.

Jennifer

10. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member+

I bought one brand new for $300 and eventually used the fenders to replace the broken fenders on my great quality older saddle. The billets on the Buffalo saddles are very cheap and rip almost like paper after a couple of girth tightenings. You can find a really nice, good quality used saddle for $250 ;)