Buckeye?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by raisethebar, Jun 5, 2017.

1. raisethebar

raisethebar Senior Member

Does anyone here feed Buckeye?

I'm currently feeding 2 different Masterfeeds products along with a few other products, and while I am finally getting weight on Kai (2013 OTTB), I find I have to feed so much of it! We have a local Buckeye rep who swears by the feed but I have always steered clear due to the price, but after factoring in what i'm currently spending on the 2 Masterfeeds products (Finishing Touch and Podium) and how much of it I have to feed, it is comparable to feeding Grow N Win.

The retailer suggested starting with Grow N Win due to already getting enough fat through the other products she is on, but if it doesn't work I will have to try Cadence which is more expensive.

Throughout the winter her Ribs were evident, but her winter coat disguised them well in photos. She has significantly more coverage now, and in the past 6 weeks my girth is roughly 2 holes 'larger' than prior.

That being said, she's now starting to put on weight finally and I am reluctant to change her feed... is Buckeye really the cats meow, or am I better off to make more frequent feed store trips and stick with what is seeming to work?

The majority of my concern stems from the fact that she's not really 'in work' right now so I am reluctant to have her drop weight once her work load increases as I physically cannot feet her any more than I already am - she gets full.

--------------------------------------------------

When I got her, November 2016
    [​IMG]
    January 2017,
    [​IMG]

February 2017,
    [​IMG]

March 2017,
    [​IMG]

Present,
    [​IMG]

2. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Is she in shape or did she just sit in the pasture? Have you delt with ottbs before?

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

really, most Ration balancers are pretty similar.

instead of feeding several things, why not just feed a senior feed?

4. raisethebar

I live on a farm full of TB's, and she's not my first :p

She came off the track last August and we have just done some ground work and lunging and a few short rides since.

5. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

I feed Buckeye Gro-n-Win and love it with my picky eater. You can always add a bit of their fat supplement (Ultimate Finish) or another fat supplement (like HorseTech FB100).

If that's still not enough, I'd switch to a high quality senior feed like Triple Crown Senior.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Looks to me like she needs some work to develop her muscle, but she really doesn't look so bad. I would not feed that horse a ration balancer, though. Not even two ration balancers. I'd give the horse the best quality forage I could get and give her a regular bagged feed. And no, not a senior feed. She's 4. Senior feeds are not for young horses. They're for old horses.

7. raisethebar

Thanks everyone - I'm not necessarily looking for a 'what do you think of her condition' type post (but thanks for the input), but just curious for those who speed Buckeye SPECIFICALLY - I don't usually trust testimonials on websites so I was hoping to hear from people first hand.

8. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member

I have fed Buckeye Gro N Win. It did absolutely nothing for my horse. However the person who recommended it to me....I saw the before/after photos of her horses and they looked fantastic on it. What works for one person's horse may not work for another's. ;) I have learned to not fix something if it's not broke. I have always used senior feed in the past for my guys but when Ransom lost a lot of weight and I was trying to get him to gain weight I used some pelleted feeds I picked up from Rural King. I can not remember what they were, it has been too long. Ransom ended up with colic had to have the vet out. Not fun. I switched back to the other feed I had gotten for years and he is gaining weight and looking much better and no colic. :) Your horse looks really nice! :)

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I was feeding Buckeye Safe and Easy. I really liked it, it was a very nice feed. Low NSC, relatively low feeding rate, etc. I only quit feeding it because my gelding needed a little more weight pickup after dealing with some ulcers. I may go back to feeding it once his weight is back up.

10. xXScribbleXx

xXScribbleXx Senior Member

fed Gro N Win, and UF100..both Buckeye products, love the ultimate finish, but I have compared feeds, and for the price (which here in Alberta, Buckeye is 50.00 per bag) I could find better feeds, similar feeds, for less. Is it a good product? yes. Would I use it again, likely no. Its expensive and not much better than other comparable feeds.

I would look into the new line of Hoffmans feeds. Some are lower NSC, higher protein, and higher fat content than Buckeye Gro N Win, and for a fraction of the price.