Bubba's Training Thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by AllyMae, Apr 28, 2018.

1. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

For those that don't know, Bubba is my newest project. He's a palomino AQHA gelding owned by my boyfriend's dad. Did I mention he's palomino!? The boyfriend's dad isn't too knowledgeable about horses so I've been dying to get my hands on him. He came from a college and had lots of training under his belt that was pretty much erased over the years.

Well, this is our progress thread! I've been doing quite a bit of ground work before I get back into the saddle since he's back sore from a bad saddle fit. Why not knock out all of his ground manners until I get the vet and chiro out? I'm currently talking to a chiro willing to travel to where I'm at so maybe riding won't be too far away! He needs a farrier as well.

Stay tuned!

2. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

Today was quite a big milestone! Finally got him to give me two eyes in the round pen! He had been taught to turn on the front end towards the round pen panel and FINALLY after 3 sessions we did it! I took away pressure, asked him to woah, and he turned to face me. I let him rest and breathe immediately so he would associate it with a reward. Left it at that and ended the session with whip desensitizing. I swung the whip on both sides of him and tossed the string over his back, around all of his legs, around his butt, under his stomach, and over and around his neck. I rubbed him all over with it, flexed him on either side, and called it a day.

I'm soooooo so so happy. This is the most progress we've made so far. Let him go (he's free roaming pretty much with all of the exits roped off) and he followed me until I went inside.

Gosh, I'm so excited to get him riding. He's gonna be a great, low key partner.

In the meantime, any exercises I can do to build his back muscles up without hopping on?

3. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

4. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I believe there's a real good horse inside that mess. You seem to have a good mind and will be able to find the horse. Do you have papers signed that give you full ownership of horse? If not,you should.

Alsosusieq2 and AllyMae like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's a nice expression, congratulations with him!!

AllyMae likes this.
  6. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

No, I do not have any ownership of him. He's not my horse, he's my boyfriend's dad's horse. I'm just working with him for when I sell my own horse.

7. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

Thank you! He really is a super sweet and good minded horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You can tell he will be, enjoy yourselves and good luck. :woot:

AllyMae likes this.
  9. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

10. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

Today went very nicely! He's a little sore from yesterday, but we had a good session! He's turning towards me and using his hindquarters a little more consistently. I hopped on bareback and found his brakes. Found out he responds really nicely to body language. I was able to move him forward by lifting the reins and clucking him out and I was able to stop by sitting deep and leaning back along with a "woah." He turns with a soft calf on either side. He's definitely much better at turning left so I'll be working a lot on the right side. I don't think he neck reins.

Nice day over all! Got a new-to-me padded bridle and loose ring snaffle today. I also got a surcingle and some long lines. Not sure when I'll use it, but I have it!

Screenshot_20180429-161903_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20180429-161912_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20180429-175041_Video Player.jpg