Broodmare normal?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by endurgirl, Jan 12, 2019.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Recently when i turn Foot out after eating, she will stop beside me and ... want scratches? Lol, i don't know, because she's always been very standoffish and unfriendly since she got here.

She also is laying down more during the day. She still has 1month and 3 weeks to go and is big as a house .

Is this normal? I don't remember the other recip doing this, but she was friendly anyway.

2. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Hormones are amazing little things. They can turn your lovable mare into a raging psycho or your stand-offish mare into a cuddle bug. That can also change day to day or hour by hour. I would take advantage of it now. It could help ease her mind when you handle the foal later.

secuono, ginster, Arem and 1 other person like this.
  3. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Totally normal! When Cricket is pregnant she’s gets so sweet and cuddly and her last month of pregnancy she acts like a velcro horse. She just wants to be doted on. After the foal is born she’s like “SEE YA” other then feeding time

ginster, Arem and endurgirl like this.
  4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Phew, that makes me feel better.

So its the increased time laying down normal? I know if i was that big I'd lay down. :rofl:

5. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

It was for Cricket...I really started watching her when she laid down because she would roll a lot the last 3 weeks of her pregnancy and I think she was just trying to get the foal into position!

endurgirl likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Very normal. My mule, when she was in heat, baby talked at me~!! Clacking away and following every move I made. I had to tie her to keep her in one spot, otherwise, her head was at my side no matter where I went. Couldn't even brush her, she'd attach to me like a sucker fish to a sperm whale~!!

endurgirl likes this.
  7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I had a mare that couldn't lay down for her last month. She tried, but only made it down to her knees then stood back up. She was exhausted and started to build up ventral edema. When she went into labor, she just let herself fall sideways to the ground. Luckily no harm done, but they sure can make you pull your hair out. Glad your mare can rest now since later it might get pretty difficult.

endurgirl and Puddincup like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

A mare might start laying down a lot more about 3-4 weeks before foaling. My mare started lying down more sooner than that even.

endurgirl and Puddincup like this.
  9. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I can tell you whether my one mare is carrying a colt or a filly by her behaviour - she's her normal self with a filly, and total nut job when she's carrying a colt - hormones do funny things to the brain. And yes they lay down more towards the end babies are heavy and put pressure in odd places.

Arem, endurgirl and turnnburnlynx like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Her name is Foot?