Breaking up large bales

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by HayleyS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

That might be what happens to this bale. I have never let them have a large bale, and I only have the two, but, I might let them have at it, and then scrap whatever goes bad before they finish it.

It doesn't seem to have a lot of weeds, so I am going with it must be the long stemmy grass.Once I fix my pitchfork I will attack it with that again, or I will have lost my patience and will have cut it up already, or thrown it outside. :) And yes, I have had the you sneeze and they fall apart bales, those are also a major PITA!

I haven't found any mold, and it isn't that stuck together moldy stuck, it is just like one solid woven block of hay. And if I could I would send it back, but they are gone, and I just got a new hay company which I will be picking up a few large bales from this weekend.

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I do NOT recommend a chain saw with dry hay!!!!! It is a huge fire hazard ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.

If you can keep it off the ground and /or cover it with a hay net, my vote is toss it in the pastuee and let them have at it.

3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Or you can go Edward Scissor Hands with a couple of hay hooks and just tear it apart. Could be a great stress reliever. :idea:

GONE ROPING, manesntails and HayleyS like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Makes sense, come to think of it.. that would be Serious friction. :idea:

I have used an old or expendable horse blanket to keep pending weather off new rolls. BO has put rolls on pallets, good & strong or upside down so theres not chance of a hoof getting caught between boards.

HayleyS likes this.
  5. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Very valid point! And, if I started a fire, I would NEVER live it down at work! It is bad enough my truck burned, if I started one, well, that would be bad. lol

Hmmmm, might not be a bad idea! I could also offer it up as a unique workout opportunity....lots of options here!

manesntails likes this.
  6. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

If you're really just done with it you could see if a dairy or beef cattle operation would want it for a discount if they pick it up! They often throw whole bales out at a time as cows will eat it wet or dry.

But setting it out for the horses if you're certain there's no mold, wouldn't be a terrible idea. Just won't last as long as it would've.