Breaking up large bales

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by HayleyS, Dec 5, 2017.

1. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Due to hay around me, and finances, I am going with large bales this year. I have fed them in the past with no issues, however, I have one bale this year that will NOT break apart in flakes. So I have around 700 pounds of hay sitting in my hay room that I look at with hatred and loathing every time I feed, so twice a day. I will be getting a few more bales this weekend, but really would like to be able to feed this bale. So, any suggestions on how to break it up, or at least get it out in semi-reasonable sized pieces? It is grass hay, in case that helps.

I few large bales for years, then went back to small bales for the last three years, really missing those right now. Thank you in advance!

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

When I was stuffing hay nets and the source was a round bale, I used a bow saw, and it did a great job, for scraping layers off anyhow.

gaitedboomer likes this.
  3. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Cool. I was going to attack it with a chain saw, but a bow saw sounds like a better plan :) Thank you!

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Chainsaw is better but roundbales should not be unpeelable. I'd trade it for another.

5. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

The chainsaw might be coming out! It is not a round, but a 3x4 if that makes any difference? And I would, but they are gone, and this weekend's hay is coming from a new source.

manesntails likes this.
  6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

What if you stood on it, and stabbed it with a metal pitch fork, then used that as leverage?

manesntails likes this.
  7. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

I tried, and granted the pitchfork was old, but I will now be attaching a new handle to replace the broken one...I swear, it is the hay bale from hell! I am this close to just throwing it out in the pasture, letting them eat what they can, and scrapping the rest. I don't know what happened to this one, but it is like there are no flakes, at all, or anything to break up. I have never had any kind of bale like this. Though, if they sold a bunch of these, that could explain why they are no longer selling hay around here?

manesntails likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO has had several large hayblocks over the winters and I dont think any of them had flakes/ divisions. They just got set out in the field or roundbale feeder and horses had-at-it at will.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

That's all we feed! All the time, every year :)

If the hay was cut late & the individual blades of glass are really long and stemmy then you'll have issues getting it to break into flakes. If there's a high weed content same thing.

I've had a few - hate them when we get them. But I just use the old school pitch fork and do what I can, usually with pieces trailing behind me into the stalls.

I can't decide what is worse to deal with - the bales that won't flake apart or the ones that just fall apart into a big pile of loose hay that one needs a shovel to pick up........

Chain saw is an interesting thought.......might have to try that on the next PITA one!

10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

If it won't break apart, makes me wonder about mold, and if its worth trying to break up.
    Call your hay man, and get him to swap it out.

Dona Worry likes this.