Breaking in boots: Warm Water Method

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by lingen37, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Soak boots in warm water then wear till dry?

1. Yes- Works well!

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Heard both good and bad

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. No- will ruin your boot!

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other- Please say why.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. lingen37

lingen37 Senior Member+

Hello everyone,

So whenever I see threads of breaking in boots I hear put them in warm water and wear them till their dry. It's like a custom fit.

I like this- but then people say. Don't do it.

So how many of you have done it? And what's the result?
    Or if you haven't done it, what's your thought?

I got a new paid of field boots. They're really not great quality- insole says HRH Kirby. They are SUPER uncomfortable and I have a show in a little less then 2 weeks with them. I kow you can just wear them around a lot and condition the ankle to help it drop, but I would like to try the warm-water method.

Please tell me thoughts, opinions and personal experiences.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I have done it with my Western boots. It does make them form-fit to your foot much more quickly than they would by just wearing them, and you don't have to go through the "blister" period where you HAVE to get them off or you will have blisters.

3. lingen37

lingen37 Senior Member+

And it didn't ruin your boots or anything like that?
    I don't really care if I ruin mine- I can easily get a new pair. But I would obviously prefer not to ^-^ :p

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, it didn't ruin them. I did give them a good conditioning with ........gee, I don't remember what I used~!! I think it was Horseman's One-Step, but I can't swear to it, and they looked none the worse for wear.

5. lingen37

lingen37 Senior Member+

Thank you :D

Still want to hear other people's thoughts- feel free to share everyone!

6. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

I'm personally too scared of getting the insole wet and it never drying out.... I had a pair of Ariat paddock boots I got wet inside, they were winter boots so, well, for the most part waterproof. And the metal support shank rusted and then the insole just got very VERY smelly :no:

With my old pair of field boots I actually took olive/neatsfoot oil and "painted" that on the inside of the ankle area of the boot (this was with a pair of devon-aires so the interior leather was rough-out so it would absorb great.) that worked like a charm.

My new Ariats however... I'm not sure what I'm going to do, just wear them probably since I think it's lined leather, therefore smooth/treated on the inside and probably won't absorb oil as well (but don't know this for a fact as I haven't looked at them in two months!! :eek:)

7. lingen37

lingen37 Senior Member+

Oh yes, the insole could possible pose a problem... hmmm

I just read that once a new patch of laundry comes out from the dryer put your boots on a rotate your ankles. Warms the leather and helps really break them in. I might do this before trying the water technique... haha

8. Surfinggetsmeup

Surfinggetsmeup Senior Member

I love the water methods. That's how I broke in my arait crowns. They feel like they are custom now. I really would never have gotten the same effect without the water technique.

9. lingen37

lingen37 Senior Member+

So how do you DO the water? I haven't really heard how?

10. vxf111

vxf111 Full Member

Done it many times with no problem on $700+ boots. I don't DOUSE the boots so they're sopping wet-- I just put them on, wet them by spraying lightly inside/out with a hose, and wear them all day until they dry. Works like a charm.