Bot Fly Eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by jkligora, Oct 12, 2009.

1. jkligora

jkligora Full Member

I've tried the bot fly knife, a ladie's razor and a pumice stone and nothing took off the eggs! The razor worked once but that was it. The bot fly knife was a waste of money and the pumice stone didn't not do anything. How do you get them off besided picking every single one off?

2. Maisie

Maisie Senior Member+

Don't know if this will work ... but I immediately thought a very fine cat flea comb might be the answer. Worth a try ???

3. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

I coat the area in baby oil gel, then brush them off in a few days. Works brilliantly :)

4. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Registered

Honestly, buy a "slick and easy" from a tack store and don't be afraid to press hard those things hang on for dear life. In all seriousness, for bot fly eggs, the "slick and easy" is a miracle tool!

5. ShinyGreenApple

ShinyGreenApple Full Member

I feel your pain. We have a bot knife but I can never get it to work as well as it should. The pony mare is always getting these things all over her hairy legs, and lately they've started putting them in the white manes of the pintos :mad:

6. mftowner06

mftowner06 Senior Member+

I have the same problem - I bought the bot knife and found out it doesn't really work all that well either :(

I might give baby oil gel a try though, thanks for the suggestion! :)

7. ShinyGreenApple

ShinyGreenApple Full Member

We've found it makes a great baling twine cutter though. It's no longer the bot knife. It's the 'hay knife'. :D

8. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

I have a small flip open bot "knife" and that thing works like a gem. I have had it for several years and I dont see them much any more. Some do use those "Slick N Easy" blocks though I have never been a fan of them you can give it a try.

9. ParkedOut

ParkedOut Senior Member+

Go to walmart and in the pharmacy area, they should have a lice comb....its used to remove nits from hair. That should be fine enough to get them.

Is it in an area where you can trim it off? That can work too. My best thing was the razor. It was tedious, but it did work.

Good luck. Its a pain, for sure!:)

10. glideride

glideride Senior Member+

Ohhhhh, I'm going to try that on my gaited mare! She has a very long black mane and it has bot fly eggs all at the bottom!