Border Collie Tries To Herd My Ponies!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by LunaLovegood, Oct 11, 2018.

1. LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood Registered

Ok, I know this isn't really a horse question, but it does involve horses. I have a border collie that I rescued about a year ago. I rescued him from an abusive owner that was trying to teach him to herd cattle. When we first got him, he wouldn't let us get near him. He has gotten a lot better since we first got him, but some things still freak him out. He is the most passive dog EVER, and would never hurt a fly, but he gets super nervous in some situations. He has never shown us that he has a strong herding instinct until this last week. We just brought home two miniature horses, and my BC won't leave them alone! He will sprint around their corral, and when I put him in his kennel he won't stop barking. When we take the ponies out, he will try to nip at their back legs. He won't listen to me when I tell him "no" and I'm afraid he or the ponies are going to end up getting hurt. I've considered a shock collar, but I think that will traumatize him. I really want him to be able to not have to be in his kennel, but I just don't know what to do! PLZ HELP!

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, whose dog is it?
    Who is responsible for keeping a herding dog off of herd animals?
    Don't leave them loose around the horses if they take it upon themselves to herd the horses.
    If you don't control them, one horse one day will.
    Dogs die very quickly when kicked in the head.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Keep him on a leash. Start training on leash far away from the horses. Gradually move him closer to the horses as he progresses with his training. The dog has to LISTEN to basic commands before you go turning him loose around something stimulating. It's like getting a horse used to a scary object. Go slow and work on it daily .

4. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

I have an Australian Cattle Dog, if the horses get into a scuffle, or I am calling them and they are not coming fast enough in his opinion, he will heel them! He sometimes heels them when I don't want him to, but he will back off as soon as I tell him "NO" and he's not allowed in the horses pasture when I am not there, he knows this and obeys it. He is never allowed in the riding arena when someone is riding, not even a paw. You have a smart dog, you need to train him and be consistent. It all starts with leash training at a young age, after that it's pretty easy to train them to do and not do things.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Put him on a leash and keep him on a leash around horses and other critters. Even a mini can kill a dog with one kick.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I second everyone above. I had a Border Collie when I was a young kid, she wasn't trained to stay off the horses. One day my colt decided he was tired of her antics, chased her down and she went rolling under his feet. She wasn't seriously injured, but it was real close. Don't take the risk.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Really, really need to keep him on a leash if you don't want a dead pupper. One well aimed kick, that's it for him. :(

8. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Definitely keep him on a leash around the ponies.

Not only is there the risk of him getting kicked, there is a chance one or both ponies could decide they hate dogs.

I have two horses who would hurt a dog on purpose if they could. Josh will pin his ears back and snake his head at dogs and threaten to bite. Ciarra will charge anything that isn't a horse or a person that dares to be in her paddock. I watched her try to catch a galah a few weeks ago, but she has also been seen to go for a loose dog before. Ears back, teeth bared, full on charge. If she ever catches anything it is probably going to be killed.

Even if/when your dog becomes super well trained and responsive, please be very careful. There is a boarder where we are who has a kelpie she used to let off lead every day up there, because "he has a great recall." Yes, he did have a great recall. But that's only effective if the owner is paying attention enough to recall him before he sneaks off. Would be better if he could not sneak off. But he kept running in front of moving cars, ran up behind Josh tied up once - I had to move the dog away myself. And kept running towards the paddocks where Josh and Ciarra are. The owner was warned multiple times to keep her dog on leash up there, I think she only listened after she was told quite how much Ciarra hates dogs. Or perhaps Ciarra gave a demonstration of how much she hates other animals in her paddock.

Either way, my point is please be careful. Dogs and horses often aren't a great mix.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Find a good herding dog trainer and make use of your dog's innate ability to work stock. If you've never trained a herder, don't do it on your own. If you can tap into his potential - you will have a great helping dog. There are some great stock dog training groups on facebook - the advice you would get there is much better than on a horse forum.

10. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

One cool thing a trainer can show you to train your dog, is guard the fence line. My horses would always reach their heads underneath the fence, to reach the tasty grasses from the other side. I trained my dog to keep them noses on their own side of the fence. One of my horses actually growing back his forelock now, thanks to Razor!

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.