Bolted Up a Hill

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Oct 7, 2018.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Ok so here I am wandering along a really cool trail with hubby. There's a dam about 200 ft from us and my pretty green mare starts being kinda goofy. No big deal, walk on. Then, she bolts up a VERY steep hill. As soon as she stepped off the trail I attempted a circle and she laughed at me and continued to climb. Aware that if I tried to circle her on this incline she might fall down, we climbed the rest of the way up the hill and promptly found a place to walk back down safety. Moved on with the ride, took her back and made her look at the dam and all was well. When we passed the dam on the way back she walked quietly beside hubby's horse and we finished the ride.

Point is....sometimes you can't circle. Sometimes you have just look back and be impressed with the athleticism of your generally laid back lazy horse that suddenly becomes a mountain goat.

GONE ROPING, heartland, Binca and 4 others like this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I guess bolting up hill is the best option!

Arem, Baboo and Jenna Scott like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Once my horse bolted (it was during Hurricane Andrew, and a large tree fell near him). I said 'I can't stop him' and my trainer said, 'the hail you can't.'

LOL. I found a way.

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I had the same issue with a horse that bolted DOWN a hill. I finally did turn him into the trees- figured I was going to die one way or another and wasn’t overly keen on it being from the traffic we were rapidly approaching.

Ranger’s Roheryn likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

This is why sometimes it's just wiser to “ride whatever the horse gives you“ and wait a little bit for him to get past the reaction he had before trying to do with him what his brain isn't capable of doing ATM: thinking.

GONE ROPING, stephanie and equinitis like this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I just considered myself lucky that I wasn’t the girl whose horse started flipped out, bucking and running into the rear end of other horses, nearly causing a catastrophe. She left in tears being ponied by one of the organizers.

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I went on a huge trail ride once , and there was a steep incline about 30 feet that we had to ride up, someones horse bolted up the incline, she instantly went to disengage, and the horse freaked out more, flipped over and they both somersaulted down the hill. She ended up shattering her femur, her whole left ark was just dangling there.... it was horrible.

I think you did the right thing

manesntails likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

She's 7 but green. She stayed small for a really long time, only been under saddle for real for a couple of years. Her third trail ride ever so yeah, I decided not to take the chance of rolling her down the hill. Especially since she could have rolled into the river, not likely, but could have. She got to the top and just kinda looked around like "I just wanted to see what was up here" and we walked back down like nothing happened.

Arem and manesntails like this.
  9. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Henry is 6 or 7 and while he's a pretty solid trail horse today he decided that popping over a tiny little water ditch was just too fun and went immediately into a crow hop and then a big ol cowboy rear and strike out. I really thought I was going to come off and in a bad way. Fortunately he turned just right at the last moment and I was able to grab his neck. It scared the bajesus out of me. It's been a long time since I've ridden such a young horse and I'm trying to tell myself that babies will have dumb baby moments. But it's sure scary when it happens! Glad you made it out safe.

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  10. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member

This is a situation where you just go with it and after it is all over and you lived it is VERY important to take ALL the credit and tell everyone it was your idea all along.

Never be afraid to take credit for an idea your horse had. (y)