Body scores

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alikreegs11, Jun 12, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

This is a big problem. I think it's actually worse than thinking horses are ok when they are 'a little bit heavy.'

A gal was over at my place and was very upset at the 'condition' of my pony. The pony's ribs are not visible nor even easily felt. "Ponies are supposed to be roly-poly," she insisted. I explained to her that ponies are not supposed to be 'roly poly' and that overweight can kill any horse, explained laminitis and metabolic diseases. Her answer was "but ponies are supposed to be roly-poly." I give up.

ginster, gaitedboomer and waresbear like this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Exactly how it should be. They look perfect.

The only thing I would add is more muscle through training.

ginster likes this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

They look fine.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

My vet say that you can feel but not see the ribs for body fat....and there is a difference between body fat and muscle. Your horses lack muscle and top line, this could be from a lack of exercise or they could be lacking the needed protein in their diet to maintain muscle. I would lean towards a lack of protein in horses that are constantly on the move and stretching down to graze in pasture.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

One other thing I noticed is the Tribute senior is only 4% fat where the Triple Crown Senior which is considered one of the best and lowest calorie senior feeds is 10% fat.... your horses are all in the age range now where they may need more processed feeds to absorb proper nutrition, they are also at the age that crushing's could come into play and if they keep dropping top line than a crushing's test might be I order.

ginster likes this.
  6. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

they look to be right about perfect weight, but they don't have much topline, likely due to being pasture puffs. I agree the paint still looks a bit overweight, nor would i be alarmed if the TB's even lost a bit, but most of these issues would be a protein, or nutrient deficiency and lack of fitness. A pasture horse is rarely going to have the kind of topline you see on a fit riding horse. It may be helpful to run a blood test on them, to see how their vitamin E and selenium are doing, deficiencies in these can result in looking a bit unthrifty. You can also increase protein levels. if they will handle it, alfalfa or soy. My mare needs extra protein, she is on an amino acid supplement with extra vitamin E, and she gets flax appeal, which has 25% fat and 20% protein. She hasn't gained weight, but she has improved in "bloom" and topline appearance.

7. mimi5876

mimi5876 Senior Member

Pretty much echoing what everyone else said but majority of horses are overweight so the “normal” to compare to is off. Horses didn’t evolve on lush pasture grass they evolved in very barren environments.

Here’s a good example of a horse with ribs showing that isn’t underweight, but is super fit (brumby). I have a feeling most owners would freak out because of my gosh, ribs!!

468DB1DD-3CC7-4260-853F-BE6EC83DDDF6.png

Here’s an example of a horse that’s def too thin BCS (3/9). -mine when he was having health issues, esp as an IR QH!!

52BE7C2B-ACAD-4FE0-A13C-6F4C0E7030EC.jpeg

gaitedboomer likes this.