Body scores

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alikreegs11, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I would be more worried about your paint weighing too much. He looks like a prime candidate for insulin resistance like my 16 year old has.

This is my 16 year old gelding that tested at 17.3 insulin last month which according to ECIR.org makes him compensated IR.

FoxyMay302018headturn.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Take a weight tape and get an estimate of your horse's weight. Put the weight tape on the horse in the same way each time so you can get an accurate result. Write the horse's weight down in a little notebook or spreadsheet, and keep track of the weight.

My friend who is even more of a nerd than I also takes pictures to document their weight.

To me these horses could use more muscle, but have more than enough body fat. I would not want the paint to get any heavier.

Puddincup and Alikreegs11 like this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Your farrier needs to trim the feet and move on. I hate it when your farrier thinks he is a vet, the chiro identifies as a dentist and the vet thinks he is a farrier. Makes me nuts. They're fine.

Arem, equinitis, Puddincup and 3 others like this.
  4. Alikreegs11

Alikreegs11 Full Member

Ive suspected this in him as well. But this is the first year I've noticed the muscle behind his withers gone and all of his ribs felt.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Alikreegs11

Alikreegs11 Full Member

Thank you! I appreciate it. They're pasture puffs right now and dont do much to get muscle.

6. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I agree. They all look sleek and healthy to me.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

I read an article in a horse magazine recently, they showed pictures of horses in perfect body weight and horses that were a little heavy. The majority of the people picked the heavy horse as the horse at the correct weight.

Arem, ginster, Tige Ress and 2 others like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If they're pasture puffs and you don't ride them regularly, they WILL lose topline muscle. This is normal. They are all fine; not heavy, and not too thin.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Mine did that last year. I think it was most likely when his IR was at its worse before we knew he had IR. I had only recently figured out the corn in the grain gave him chronic hives. I think at the same time grass hay that my barn got at that point was too low in NSC. One friend had it tested at 6%. So a low NSC hay and a high NSC grain do not make a healthy horse. This was him at his worst June 2017. If I can remember I am going to take a new photo of him on the same date later this month, June 17, to show how much he changed in a year. FoxyJune2017.jpg

Also note his hooves actually were inflamed. He was lucky he didn't get laminitis. At one point he was even maintained on Dex for the chronic hives so that added to his problems.

10. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

1. Ditto the paint horse is overweight. They could all stand to lose a few pounds.

2. Google the Henneke Scale. Pick the web site that shows pictures of horses at each body score level. Use the Henneke Scale to determine where your horses are on the fat scale because they are ----- fat for the most part.

3. I can see four ribs on my stout built 22 year old Tennessee Walker ---- he wants to be fat --- no he wants to be obese ---- at his IR diagnosis & big founder point his 15.3H self weighed more than 1,200 pounds ---- he isn't allowed to be fat ----- two vets from two facilities have both told me to keep him thin ---- micro-managing his diet and grazing time is a major PITA.

He is insulin resistance and foundered pretty bad in 2012.

Once you hear a horse laying in its stall moaning from founder pain, I'll bet you won't be trying to figure out how to get weight on them, when they don't need it-----------

This was a few weeks ago, after the farm vet gave him a physical and did some blood work ---- this horse also has injuries that make him barely rideable for more than 15-20 minutes ----- hardly enough time to help his muscling.
    image.jpg

4. I'm sorry to sound harsh but I grow really weary of people trying to put fat on horses that don't need fat. If you start working them and they drop a lot of weight, THEN worry about adding healthy fat calories to their diets ----- which is not sweet feed.