blood in urine & weight loss

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Zanerkin177, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Zanerkin177

Zanerkin177 Senior Member

someone I know has a mare who is urinating blood and has had dramatic weight loss :no:, she is an older mare and he is wanting to know what has happened to her. I understand she needs a vet, we are working on this right now.

2. whachasmama

whachasmama Senior Member

Kidney Stone(s) maybe?

Is she in heat?

Was it just red or was there actual blood clots?

3. pippy

pippy Senior Member

I'm affraid that those two symptoms alone lead the case to wide open to easily comment coupled with the horses age.

Kidney stones, urinary tract infection are first thoughts, however for extreme weight loss says there is more to it than meets the eye depending on how long the weight loss has been occuring.
    Poisoning is another thought - but doesn't necessarily attach itself to weightloss.. and I'm really stabbing in the dark for possibilities. You may just have to wait until the horse sees the vet and has blood pulled. If the owner can - it may be beneficial to get a urine sample in a clean sterilised container. Easiest sampling method I've used is to clean out a bucket, use and then pour the sample into a clean sealed container. (some vets will supply them).

4. Zanerkin177

what is the likelihood of it being fatal? there is nothing I can do for this horse, I'm too far away, I'm just asking questions on HGS that he asked me

5. whachasmama

whachasmama Senior Member

Rapid and unstopped weight loss will of course lead to death if not controlled. I mean, totally not a sudden death, but if the weight loss is rapid it really needs to be taken care of ASAP.

The blood in the urine is so vague and these two symptoms may or may not be related at all. I have no idea.

Old horses do tend to loose weight, quite a bit. They get bony and their spines start to stick out a bit. That is normal. But to what degree is the weight loss?

6. horsesR4life

horsesR4life Senior Member+

Its impossible to tell by just a description. As the above poster said, it could be just a kidney stone, but it could also be a sign of kidney failure, I see this symptom in many animals who are sick, elderly, or extremely thin and the body has just decided to stop working.

Another thing, it could be rhabdomyolysis (tying up), and he is mistaking the urine colour as blood.

Its best to get a vet.

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

I agree it's much more likely to be kidney failure than "just" kidney stones. I hope the vet can get out there.

8. Zanerkin177

update -

she is doing much better, we're pretty sure it was just a bladder infection.

9. maggieandduke

maggieandduke Senior Member+

my friends horse was pretty old but not too bad and she gave him to a friend to use for alil while but her friend did not take care of him..he starved him *sigh* and he was in tough shape but he was peeing bloode and had a bladder infection.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Did the vet ever come out?

Kidney failure is not always a straight downward spiral. Horses can look better, gain weight, get perky, etc, then go downhill again.

Kidney infections are just not common in horses.