Blanketing is NOT evil

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by JBandRio, Oct 3, 2014.

1. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

2. ALegUp

ALegUp Full Member

What is wrong with people? SMH...

2 people like this.
  3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

LOL! I agree that blanketing is not evil but.......

NOT blanketing is not evil either!

11 people like this.
  4. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Meh... I blanketed my hardy little Fjord mare last winter during the evil evil cold we had, and let me tell you, when it was off, and she was cold, she would start lipping and pulling at it on the blanket rack outside her stall. She knew which side her bread was buttered on.

And this winter, I can skippy straight guarantee you that our 24 year old gelding will be blanketed for his health and our sanity. He may even end up double blanketed if that's what it takes to keep him from shivering and burning vital calories.

10 people like this.
  5. Patty Stiller

Patty Stiller Senior Member

LOVE whoever that is!. They write like I *want* to write in a forum sometimes.
    BTW last winter I blanketed about two or three days, total hen the horses got pretty wet and it was really cold and windy, Other than those exceptional nasty days they did fine with run in's.

1 person likes this.
  6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

I miss blanketing, lol. But down here in south Florida it never really gets cold enough :(

2 people like this.
  7. SlewsMissy

SlewsMissy Senior Member

I usually only blanket mine when we get a cold rain/freezing rain but that's because mine are all easy keepers, have access to a nice 3 sided shelter and they all grow super thick winter coats. If any of them started having trouble keeping weight on or had health issues I would have no problem with blanketing them. My first winter of horse ownership I felt bad for them and blanketed them all winter and both of them managed to gain at least 100 pounds!! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  8. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member

The first 11 years I owned my girl, she was not once blanketed. She got nice and puffy :D And she had use of a run-in.

This will be the 3rd winter I blanket her. She is now 23, IR, putting ON weight, and no longer has a shelter where she currently is now.

For me, it's all circumstantial. I still don't see the need to make horses into princesses incapable of being outside in less than ideal weather (cough current BO horses cough) but to each their own. I'll do whatever it takes to help my horse be comfortable outside instead of cooped up inside

2 people like this.
  9. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Someone needs to explain this to certain horses, too. ;)

10. Samarama

Samarama Senior Member

I live for blanket season. I am a blanket hoarder. I love blankets. Whenever I talk about tack, somehow the conversation always comes back to blankets.

I need blanket twelve step.

8 people like this.