Black as Knight - has anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Faith04, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

They do make a "show verison" of Black as Knight. It doesn't have the paprika or any other banned substance that will test positive when showing. So you could try that.

Personally I've always had better luck making sure my horse is on a good diet and adding something like flaxseed for a great looking coat. If you're trying to stop your horse from bleaching out I would just add paprika but be sure you pull them off a week before a show.

2. Faith04

Faith04 Senior Member+

Thanks all for your input. Faith has a nice healthy coat naturally, a very light bay, I was just wondering if I could make it better especially when I clip her. She doesn't bleach as she is rugged 24/7. I can not feed her flax/linseed as she tend to go very loose (poopy wise) I can only feed minute amounts of sunflower seeds as she can get a bit hot on them and hshe is already on a commercial coat enhancer we have here called Groom.

So I guess there is not much else I can do

Cheers all!

3. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

I have used BAK before and it works amazingly. It just is kinda pricey for my taste in a supplement that just keeps them dark.

I know people who have started using it on bleached horses, as well as continued to leave their horses out FT and they really did darken up to their "true", unbleached color. So it must restore their color somehow. :)

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

The hairs that come in don't bleach and the old bleached ones fall out....

Nothing magic. ;)

5. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

so why is paprika illegal? it is not bad for the horses, right? and will stop any color coat from bleaching in the sun?

6. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member

Voila! lol. :wink:

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Paprika shows up as "capscasin", so it will test positive, as that is a banned substance according to USEF, and most breed associations that follow those drug testing guidlines.

8. EQRider

EQRider Senior Member+

Meh, I've used it and I don't know if it helped much. I like to think it did, even though he lightened up despite being let out at night only. My vet (kind of a traditional/old timer) says that a lot of whats on the market now
    with supplements doesn't do much. I think its more of a piece of mind thing, I would use the other more natural things like flax seeds that are probably a whole lot cheaper...

Keeping him inside when the sun is the strongest is the best thing and letting him out in the evening/night time.

9. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

yea i was just wondering what it does that is illegal... but i don't want to throw the thread too far off topic :)

10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Capscacin ( which paprika tests as ) can be used as a pain relief, hence the reason it is a banned substance.

there are many other natural substances that are on the banned list as well, so it's not just mfg drugs.