Black as Knight - has anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Faith04, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Faith04

Faith04 Senior Member+

I'm considering using Black as Knight colour enhancer on my bay Faith, as I am wondering if anyone has used it, and what sort of results they have had (especially on bays).

It's rather expensive and I thought I'd do a little research first to see if it is worth it.

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

you can feed paprika and get the same results for much less $, as paprika is one of the main ingrediants in Black as Knight.

if you show though, you'll need to pull them off a week before the show, as Paprika will test positive as Capscacin ( sp?)

3. Faith04

Faith04 Senior Member+

If paprika is one of the main ingredients of BAK, would that mean that I would have to stop using it before shows as well? Because if that is the case then it would be useless as I can show nearly every weekend in the season.

4. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member

Yes, to be on the safe side :)

5. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member

Yes, but I was THINKING there was another Black as Knight product (or something similar) that was higher in flax seed and didn't have paprika, for those that showed. I was thinking I read it on here.

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Jess is correct, if you are showing at shows where they will and can pull blood to test, then you would want to pull the horse off a week before each show where they may be tested.

7. PaintYourWorld

PaintYourWorld Senior Member+

If you are planning on using it you need to make sure you use it before your horse gets sun bleached because it really only protects the hair from getting bleached and does not help them go back after. Personally I think that the best way to keep a dark horse dark is keep them inside during the day and only let them out at night.

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

I used it for awhile, and actually found that I had better results (at a lower price) with a high quality/nutritious diet and paprika added. Some horses might also need added copper (if it's not present in moderatly high amounts in the diet).

9. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

I can second this. :) The paprika is available online and for much cheaper than the Cheval products.

For reference though, this black horse was fed BAK and did very well -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

From the Cheval Products site: