1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Bits for Starting Colts

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Touch the Sky, Dec 18, 2016.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Arem, When you know how to properly bit a horse, the horse accepts the bit. You never hear any professional trainer expounding on how it's impossible to train some horses to wear a bit. Where you see that is in non-professional attempting to train it, then when they can't get it done, because the horse can read how to get that person to quit fooling with them, they declare :
    "My horse doesn't like..............." That's blaming the horse for the human's failure to be capable of training it.

I got this lesson years ago. I was 15. I had a girl come in wanted to work and take out rides. I could not teach her to sweep a floor, the shavings would just be scattered to the walls and the middle of the aisle would be clean. Didn't matter how many times I showed her.
    I could not teach her to bridle a horse, her hand would end up in the horse's mouth and her standing in front of the horse every time. Didn't matter how many times I showed her; I Could not get through to her.

It's not that you have a special horse that won't accept a bit.
    I don't care if a person wants to ride in a halter. Doesn't bother me. If you can't successfully bit the horse, though, don't blame it on: "The horse doesn't like".

If that were a valid excuse for failure to train a horse to do something, we would never have started riding them in the first place.

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Sigh. I never said that my horse doesn't accept a bit. She'll take any bit as long it's not a snaffle. Her favourite bit is my jr cowhorse gag with a three piece mouth and roller. She gets along fine with my bridle bit. She likes to roll the cricket. She has no complaints about my low port myler curb. She'll carry any low port shanked bit. Just not a snaffle horse. @GotaDunQH has a snaffle hater, too, I think. Brandi isn't the only one.

Most horses can be taught to accept a bit (generically) but, and here is the point you keep missing, not all horses like all bits. That's why there are a zillion different mouth pieces for something simple like a D ring snaffle. And that's why there are O ring snaffles and full cheeks and dozens of different gags and shanked bits with dozens of different mouth pieces for all of them.

Horses aren't cookie cutter. They do have individual preferences. Even when it comes to thinks like grooming. That horse can't stand the hard brush but likes the soft one, the other one loves the hard brush but might find the soft one ticklish. That horse likes barrel racing, the other can do it but never enjoyed it. Another horse doesnt like going around and around the area in circles but loves the trail. Another might not care what he does. One horse thrives on racing, another just doesn't have the drive for it.

Horses are not flat lines. They are individuals.

CessBee and firegurl979 like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

S' a funny thing. It always seemed to me that when I worked with any horse in dressage, they had read the handbook very, very thoroughly. And it always seemed to me that if there were any problems, the human was the one that hadn't read the book carefully enough.

Of course it depends on the handbook. I was thinking of 'The Complete Training of Horse and Rider' by Alois Podhajsky. It's an old dressage classic.

Sempiternal and dumbjockey like this.
  4. Chester

Chester Senior Member

I can never go past a tom thumb bit for training/breaking.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

You don't actually have horse experience.

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

:faint:

Tige Ress likes this.
  7. RockingHorse

RockingHorse Full Member

I'm with you on that one Touch the Sky. Every instructor or trainer that I have met along my 30 years of horsemanship all have there own methods of breaking & training and all of them have a preference of bits. However, with that being said. Every fool out there proclaims to be a good trainer. Some good some just plain stupid with no sense of how to break anything but there neck trying to assert there "will & dominance" over a poor horse in for training. If you have a sane method that works for you and your horse, keep it. As for bits. In breed shows in types of classes they will list the bits that your our horse has to compete in so it is good to know this info if you show. If not, enjoy how your training methods work for yyou ou and your horses and ignore idiots who tend to perceive that there way is the best way....

8. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Aussie language disconnect detected.

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yes Arem...I own a snaffle hater, and that would be Sidney. He simply does not alike all the tongue pressure. if it's a single jointed snaffle he gets busy in the mouth. If it's a French Link, it's not so bad. Put a ported bit in...he's quiet in the mouth and happy as a clam. Does this mean he wasn't trained properly? Heck NO! He's been trained to the hilt, and will still perform in a snaffle...because he was trained in the BODY. Horses have their preferences...and to say they don't does the horse an injustice as an individual.

TheSnowLeopard, Arem and endurgirl like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

You keep saying that, and eventually, you'll think it's true. That won't make it true.