Bits for Starting Colts

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Touch the Sky, Dec 18, 2016.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

There are a lot of those out there. There isn't any point in trying to convince them to do anything different, because they never will do anything different. It's a waste of time and energy.

HunterEq95 likes this.
  2. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Thanks for the opinions on starting Colts with the rope halter. I was always taught to start them that way. Riding a halter or Jack js important to me, because i like to ride that way, and since I only start my own horses, I've never seen anything wrong with it. I do start in a French link eggbut snaffle, and I do a lot of flexing and bending, I'm the ground and in the saddle. I guess I never though of starting them in a rope halter as being a detriment...

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It's a detriment. Ignore that. I don't think it's anything more than personal preference and that's yours-!!

I swear, I think horse people can be crazy.

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

I typically start them in a rope halter then move to a snaffle. They only get a curb if they're more advanced (rides off leg/seat)and theres a reason for it (when ponying for me...). Its important for my horses to be able to go bitless or in a bit. For background I ride dressage, eventing, and endurance..

5. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member

Started Rex (my 5 year old Morgan) bareback and in a halter last year
    [​IMG]

bits were an easy transition for him. Of course theres been plenty of prep work involved. He gives to rein aids, moves off leg/seat, and responds to verbal cues.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HunterEq95 likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It's not that it's detrimental. It's just not training him to carry a bit which goes hand in hand with riding. I, for one, ain't ridin' no hoss down the road next to traffic without a bit in it's mouth. You can't show without a bit, so you are just not training the horse fully if all you do is ride in a halter. Nevermind if the horse decides to bronc with you, you can't get his head up or around in a rope halter.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

So Vaqueros are beginners because they don't start their horses in a bit? ;)

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

You are reminding me of the old horse trainer that told me I was nuts for riding my horse in a bosal and that I needed to put her in a snaffle bit. He said I wouldn't be able toco from her in it. Uh, no actually I could. Quite well.

Now that she's mostly finished in the bosal, she rides better in bits than she ever did before.

When I get a youngin' to start down the road, we'll start in the bosal. Here and there I may ride in a snaffle just so it isn't foreign to the horse (because most people don't know how to use a bosal and you never k ow what's going to happen) but I figure, if it was good enough for the Vaqueros, it's good enough for me.

firegurl979 likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's true. Long ago they never messed with that. Some did but it's much more common now as a progression snaffle, bosal, curb. I'm of the opinion neither one is technically wrong or correct - they both are fine.

HunterEq95 likes this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Exactly. Do what works. I'd say the only "rule" is start soft and work your way up. Other than that, I don't think it really truly matters whether you start them in a snaffle, rope halter, bosal, sidepull, half breed.... Do what works for you and the horse.