1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Bits for Starting Colts

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Touch the Sky, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Thank you.

CowCatcher likes this.
  2. crolipizzan

crolipizzan Full Member

I like that you start with a halter. No matter what horse does, English or western, dressage or jumping, horse should first learn how to obay simple commands like left, right, stop, back on halter and small pressure. Bit is just for refining commands.

Touch the Sky likes this.
  3. Pips

Pips Registered

I start in a rope halter and move to a french link snaffle for the young ones. Any horse that comes to my farm that's broke and the owner brings me a bit, I set it on the shelf and grab the french link for the first ride at least.

The thought of using a shank on a young horse is horrifying.

firegurl979 likes this.
  4. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Mods, is there any way we can lock this thread? I didn't think it was going to get so.....heated.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

You're the first post in this thread since Sunday. It's dead now. Locking would be redundant.

mooselady, kodemiester and CowCatcher like this.
  6. Caitlin Popplewell

Caitlin Popplewell Registered

Any of my green horses only work in two things (and then they typically stay in these two things): a snaffle or a halter. I would never put a shank into their mouths; and although if used correctly they are fine, they just are not safe to train a horse in. Still, it is suggested a LOT, so I imagine that advice is also followed often as well. I hope other people who saw your argument knew better as well.

7. Allie 1

Allie 1 Registered

Pay no attention to advice like this-NO horse should ever be started in a shanked bit-I have been a successful trainer for many years-(only do coaching now) stay with what you are doing.

8. Riosdad

Riosdad Full Member

I am no longer a fan of less is more. I use to start everything in a bosal or side pulls and most stayed in side pulls most of their life.
    But if you want a fast responding horse, a light horse, one that reads your thoughts you need a bit
    Now I start everything in a straight solid mouth peace in a snaffle with Running Martingale
    You don't want to see the horse throw it's head up and run through the bit
    I also only spend a day or two in the round pen or arena and then head out in the open fields
    I want to tire him, no cantering, just jogging , but straight lines in the open, bring them back tired
    After a few weeks of jogging trail they get the Tom Thumb and yes I like that bit
    They are going to learn HO and Easy, learn the voice command so a simple HO gets an instant stop, not a step more and Easy brings him down from a good working trot to a jog, no rein involved
    You want a light responsive horse, at times you need to be harsh
    You don't ride off a bit as most do, you ride off his training and the bit is only a back up if things get out of hand.
    To me spurs go along with a soft well trained horse and I won't ride without them
    Too many people ride with hard hands, a firm hold but think because it is a snaffle it doesn't count
    I ride with a Tom Thumb and slack reins and he responds to the least shift of weight, the soft whisper of a word or the shifting of a knee
    You want a soft horse, ride soft but be ready to back it up.

9. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

See, I have horses who do all that, follow voice commands, legs, seat, or direct rein pressure if I am in a snaffle, all without ever using a Tom Thumb, or being harsh. Did it take more than 1 week of training to get there? You better bet it did. But I have a horse I never had to be harsh with, or shut down, and who responds to the lightest cue.

I don't believe that you have to use a harsh hand and bit in order to teach a horse to be light or responsive. My horses don't respond for fear of a harsh and painful response if they don't. And I prefer it that way.

mooselady, Sam C. and TheSnowLeopard like this.
  10. Kiesha

Kiesha Full Member

I love this. Before I got my gelding he was owned by a lady who had 4-inch shanks on him. I don't know what kind of bit, but it was harsh. On top of that, she didn't know how to ride, so she was constantly ripping on his face. It was horrid. I took him home and put him in a hack... he was perfect.