Bit recommendations for a fussy horse

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StarPattern, Jul 16, 2017.

1. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

MANES. I feel like a complete dunce! "You always are going to turn the horse RIGHT to slow down." I think this is my whole issue right here. The way we had the poles set up only allowed me to turn left at the end of the arena and that's where we had most of our problems. The funny thing is, I KNOW we only used to race the horses to the left and turn to the right to slow down when I was on the track, but I wasn't making that connection in the saddle. That also explains why she was so much better at barrels when we had two left turns versus two right. Gosh, I'm feeling silly right now. I guess this is a hazard of overthinking things because deep down, I think I knew this... but I was convinced it wasn't actually this easy of a solution.

THANK YOU!

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:rofl::rofl: That is a familair feeling for most riders I think...."WOW, was it really that easy, I have been overthinking it"

Mmmm, if you yank a horses head back to its shoulder in mid flight, you are going to have a wreck......best look up one rein stops again.

Not the same for every horse, stop for my mare comes from the seat, no pressure on the mouth, but legs are still closed on her, to get her to actually ride into the stop, not just fall out of the gait she is in.

3. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

That's why I called it the "traditional way". As in the way most people think about it. I felt my post came across as if that was a bad idea. Perhaps it didn't. But I totally agree, it would be a wreck..I've seen it happen. :no:

mooselady likes this.