Bit Banks

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

@barrel_racer64 -- send it over to PA and I'll put it on Charlie and take pics/video. I can get all up in his mouth with no sedation bahahahaha

mooselady and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I'll see what I can get done with the horses I have, we have 5-6 horses on the place, so I'm sure we can find one that let me play in their mouth. @Circle C Charlie is always such a good boy compared to Remi:rofl::rolleyez:

Circle C likes this.
  3. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Just my two cents, when I was searching for a bit for my fussy mouth mare I would have loved to be able to try a bit, return it and get 90% of my money back! They are metal bits, I would clean it myself when I got the bit, would not be worried about germs.
    I bought quite a few bits, cheap ones, mid range and a few very expensive ones, new and used before, in desperation trying a rubber bit,which she loved!

I would not mind if the bit had been used, a few scratches would not be an issue. (of course, as long as there was no rough edge anywhere)

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. barrel_racer64

That's good to know! What bits did you try on her? More specifically, which of the more expensive ones did you try? And, maybe this is a silly idea, but would having some lower or mid-range bits available to "test ride" be appealing? Or are they easy enough to come by?

Larkspade likes this.
  5. barrel_racer64

I'm getting ready to send in an info request to my manufacture with different bits I'm interested in. Any more suggestions on what bits I should see if I can get? Are waterfords common enough to bother carrying in a snaffle? I'm inquiring about one specifically for someone, it will be on Pelham shanks though.

This is my current list:
    HS WH Ultra- D ring
    [​IMG]
    NS Turtle Top- D ring (I think, unless loose ring would be a better option...)
    [​IMG]
    NS Waterford Pelham
    [​IMG]

I've always been fascinated with the Mikmar bits, so I'm contemplating checking on this one just for my collection if nothing else:
    [​IMG]

Circle C, Larkspade and mooselady like this.
  6. mymarespet

I think having some mid-range bits is a great idea. Buying just one bit is do-able, but even at a mid-low range if you work through multiple bits to find the one that suits, then maybe have to adjust the size because sometimes different styles need a different size, you can spend a small fortune.
    It has been a while since I bought the bits so I don't remember their specific names sorry. one was the KK ultra french link loose ring, I bought a thicker one and a thinner one, she seemed to like the thinner one, this was my first indication that she preferred less bit in her mouth.

barrel_racer64 likes this.
  7. mymarespet

I found my mare had a decided preference for the french link over simple snaffle, no idea if she liked loose ring over D-ring. I was told a loose ring was preferable in dressage so that is what I used.

barrel_racer64 likes this.
  8. barrel_racer64

Alright, I need some thoughts. So, I've been told its a 5 bit minimum order on each of the bits I asked about. Any thoughts? Anyone want to pre-purchase one?:wink: Or if I decide to only get 1 of them, which would be the most marketable? (And what size should I get? I originally told my guy that I wanted 5". I can get a different size but they all have to be the same size.):whistle:

9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I would get 5.5... not all horses have tiny heads like ours lol I never had an issue with my 5.5 Myler until ... Charlie.

barrel_racer64 and mooselady like this.
  10. barrel_racer64

I was debating 5 1/4 or 5 1/2 but I've never had a horse take anything bigger than a 5" so I'm having a hard time fathoming what the heck horse needs such a massive bit for:rofl::rofl: I've had some big 15.3 geldings that still only took a 5"... Plus the bit collector in me wouldn't be able to justify keeping one that wasn't the "right" size:idea::idea::idea: That will keep me from keeping one! Good plan!