Bit Banks

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

I would consider carrying a 4.5 or 4.75 for the smaller mouthed horses

barrel_racer64 likes this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I think you can say comparable to NS verbind, and you might be able to say made by the same company. I think what others suggested is best - talk to the company & see how they market theirs.

One question: ok it’s made by the same people but IS it the EXACT same? I would imagine there’s some tweak on the name brand one & they have an agreement to not replicated it entirely?? You’ll want to know this answer as well I’m sure. Of course I’m dying to know the answer too!

$45 would be an amazing price though! Definitely something you could charge for + shipping. If they wanted to keep it (or not) then do just as the other bit bank does. That would mean your costs should leave for a good profit margin - assuming your following margin/markups like other tack stores. :)

Please keep us posted! If this turns out I’ll defintely hot you up for something when I have a need.

As for sizes, 5.25” is probably the most common size in loose rings for the dressage folks. The verbind ones fit so much smaller b/c of the bend, so I wouldn’t even bother carrying a 5” in that. That bit seriously looks like a pony bit. Lol

3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I was thinking it would probably be ok to say "comparable" or "similar to" the name brand, I'll look into it a bit more, but I'm thinking I should be ok to do it. I have the 3 bits I currently have, so I might go ahead and offer them for trials and if they like them they can keep them since I do have a few in stock.

I honestly don't know if they have any minor changes or not, I'd imagine so, but I've never seen a Verbindend in person to be able to know. As far as I can tell from the pictures, they are pretty much the exact same.

I was thinking that 5 1/4" would probably be a good all around size to carry. Would it be a bad idea to skip 5" and go 4 3/4, 5 1/4, 5 1/2? Since they are all going to be snaffles (at least at first) it wont be a huge deal if they are a little big. I did just measure the version of the V that I have, its a smidge shy of 5" actually, and with the bend it is definitely a pony bit. I'm going to try one on Hope and Remi and see how it fits them. Hope should wear ~5" and Remi should fit a 4 1/2" pretty easy. I'll try and remember to take the camera and see how it looks on both of them.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

5” will likely be most common for the H/J world & Drings. Loose rings people tend to go a smidge bigger.

5. barrel_racer64

Here is Remi modeling the "5 inch" Verbindend, I would say she could currently fit in a regular 4.5". She is still learning about wearing a bit, so it is adjusted a bit tighter than I normally have them since she has been very noisy in the mouth (she was a bit quieter in the V, but could have been she learned she could eat grain with a bit in...) Its also not sitting squarely in her mouth, but you can see she had a fair bit of room on the one side. I'm thinking about seeing if my vet will let me play with their horse skull sometime in the near future. I'm learning some stuff about how bits sit in the mouth that are completely different than I have believed, especially with the loose rings.

DSCN4125.JPG DSCN4127.JPG DSCN4128.JPG DSCN4129.JPG

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Headstall isn’t even. You can see the horses left side is higher than the right, which is why it’s sticking out more in the left.

That could be the absolutely bare minimum I’d be comfortable using on that horse. A lot of people would want more room.

If you use the skull, just remember how the horse holds their head when ridden & the direction of the reins. I find so many people out those skulls on so the profile of the head is parallel with the ground & then out bits in the mouth and are horrified at how the bits lay & touch the pallet.......well that’s not how they lay in a real life situation. Lol

NaeNae and mooselady like this.
  7. barrel_racer64

I know the headstall isn't even, I thought it would give us a relatively decent idea of how much room we had though. I'll try and get new pictures next time I'm over there with the headstall sitting evenly.

That's what I'm wanting to play with and explore. I had in my mind the V and the Bomber would sit a certain way in the mouth, and I've learned that it isn't so. For instance, I had in my mind that the V would sit flat across the tongue, but when I put it on the headstall and started looking at how it would really sit, I see that is more likely to actually lay at about a 45-55 degree angle across the tongue instead of simply straight up draping over it like it looks in the picture of it propped up on my table.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ Do you have a quiet horse you could use?? A quiet horse who would let you look in their mouth and hold their head still would be better than a skull. Though I totally get that for some people it's a "unicorn" to find one of those. hahahaha

mooselady likes this.
  9. barrel_racer64

Hope might be quiet enough, or my dad might have a horse. Remi is definitely not it:rofl::rofl: though it would probably be good for her to be messed with. I'll play with it next time I'm at my parents' house. Dad has a pony that might be quiet enough to play with the V on and see how it really sits and stuff.

I was contemplating on seeing when my vet was going to be floating a horse's teeth and seeing if he would let me play in their mouth for a minute while he had them sedated and the spectrum holding their mouth open:rolleyes: He probably already thinks I'm borderline quackadoodle anyway:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::rofl::rofl:

mooselady likes this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Might be a good idea to play while they are still sedated after the dental work has been done, but without the speculum. The speculum will likely hold the cheek pieces off the side of the horses face, which will change how the bit lays too. Plus don't most horses keep playing with their tongue & jaws a bit while the speculum is in?

Maybe a tube of that all natural sedative that's OTC might be enough for a calm horse to let you know a good look??