Bit Banks

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Jul 5, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

What are the thoughts on bit banks, and what bits would you like to see in one? I'm primarily thinking more about different snaffle options, as that is primarily what I sell and what seems to sell the best. Since I have a unique market I'm working with, with the sensitive mouthed horses that are harder to bit, I'm contemplating building up a small "bank" of different snaffles people would be able to try so they aren't spending a fortune buying different bits that don't work for their horse.

SO, any suggestions? What snaffles would you want to see in a small bit bank?

These are some bits I currently have or kind of what I have in mind:
    Neue Schule Verbindend
    [​IMG]

Bomber Happy Tongue Bit
    [​IMG]

Neue Schule Demi Anky
    [​IMG]

Neue Schule Turtle Top
    [​IMG]
    Neue Schule Trans-angled Lozenge
    [​IMG]
    NS Turtle Tactio
    [​IMG]

NaeNae likes this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

You should do a couple short shankedbits too :)

Larkspade likes this.
  3. barrel_racer64

Good idea. Which ones? ;)

I need bits that are "off the wall" enough that people aren't going to have them, or have easy access to them, but not so weird that people aren't going to want to try it on their horse.

NaeNae and Circle C like this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The same mouth pieces just offer with a short shank :)

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Have an HS WH Ultra! (Not the rubber coated one) It’s a bit that intrigues people, and many horses like!

HS makes their own version of the NS Demi Anky just fyi. I have a bunch of them and really really like them. Fez & Fif both preferred this one to all the others.

Question/Thought/Possible problem: If someone tries the bit & they love it......can they buy the demo one? That will happen often. Or will you have different sizes of each for people to try? All the bits you’ve posted are higher end bits, so this venture might be a bit costly :rofl: OMG that was punny!

Not sure how many Dressage peeps you get, but if you have amany upper level ones, it might be worth including a few of the different weymouth bits. Finding the right combination can be costly & tiring - you know - not that I would know of anything. Lol

It’s been suggested I try the turtle top bradoon & apparently there’s a weymouth too for Fif. I decided to hold off to start, as there’s no where to trial either & finding them used is next to impossible!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

That's kind of risky to do. I wouldn't let multiple strange horses use the same bit, but that's just me.

7. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Metal is very inhospitable to microbes. And if you're that worried about spreading disease, you could always just dip them in rubbing alcohol.

Op: I'd also like to see some of the HS bits. In addition to sizes, would you also stock different ring styles?

Rhythm 'n Blues and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@palogal does this mean you don't buy used metal bits?

I always clean any bit that comes to me, but I buy nearly nothing but high end used bits. I have so many. Never an issue. If you clean and sanitize them there are zero issues. There's a reason hospital bed pans are metal like sandstorm mentioned ;)

mymarespet and mooselady like this.
  9. barrel_racer64

I was thinking maybe a KK Ultra, but since you suggested it I would probably go with the WH Ultra instead. The Turtle Top is another one I was kind of intrigued by, so it would probably be on the list for sure as well.

I have connections that will make this venture significantly more affordable, otherwise I would never dream of even attempting it. I'm cheap, lol! I think to start out, I would probably only be able to offer probably a 5" and a 5 1/2" or something like that so I have a size option, but I wouldn't be able to go too wild with having all the size options available. And at least to begin with, they would only be available to try and a kind of service, and they would have to go buy it else where (not exactly the greatest business plan, eh:rofl:) or I could possibly stock just a few of each like maybe 5 max. I would have to stick with the simple snaffles (probably O-rings because the are the cheapest, but possibly go with the D's) I seem to get more hunters than dressage peeps, but those are just the ones that tell me a bit about their horses. I would love it if I could eventually have a full stock of virtually everything imaginable:help::help: but I'm not sure how realistic that really is. A girl can dream though, right?!

They would be sanitized between each use, but there would be full knowledge that other horses had used the bit prior. All part of the give and take of being able to trial a bit.

Yeah, I would plan to sanitize the bits between "rentals." I'd love some more suggestions on specific bits. I mostly listed the NS bits because those are the ones I'm most familiar with at the moment (still learning more about all these big name bit companies) So, if you have specific HS bits in mind you'd like to see offered please share!

This whole thing is very much still in the thinking stages, so I'm still exploring options on getting the bits, which bits to offer, what sizes, the whole 9 yards.

10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I do, i run them through the dishwasher. I guess it depends on how many horses are really going to use them. It’s just not something I would personally do. I was thinking more about rubber bits.