1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Biomechanics...engage the core...lift the back

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BluemoonOKy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

8.13 to 8.16, two different horses, one dark, one buckskin, both lunged with what I know by the name "neck stretcher" contraption, forcing this extremely low position that they would not naturally assume.

Plus, none of the horses they show in collected exercises is collected and I don't agree with that woman that extreme long and low training is particularly good for contact. It doesn't harm it either, but it's simply not a requirement for good contact.

What I also don't like is that ALL photos that are shown of horses with their head up and bracing against the rider are with abysmally bad riders. That proves nothing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Exactly what it wasn't!

What is interesting to me, and I wish I had a video of it....when I lunged Fergie the other day, first time in ages, the difference was astounding. She was stepping under from behind, I was just watching that hind leg come through, and her back end looking rounder, she was stretching down looking for that contact. It was such a difference from the hollow backed up headed horse of last year.

Excellent video, thanks for sharing @BluemoonOKy

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

OK, I missed it the Buckskin is wearing something, not exactly forcing the low position, but certainly stopping him coming up.....the dark one, I see nothing on him.

noneckstretcher.JPG

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Gotcha. I didn't notice that. I don't use gadgets. Went back and watched that part. It was hard to see but i noticed the neck stretcher, or whatever its called. Never used anything like that. I liked the one right after that, like around 8:20 where Bay is being asked to stretch then lift back up while holding back up.
    Why I posted this was to demonstrate why it's important for a horse, just like a human, to use its core which will protect the back and give more room to the vertebrae. I was most interested in the radiological exam.

endurgirl likes this.
  5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

I'm sorry to be critical of the video, but there was a lack of impulsion...

If the HQ doesn't engage there is no push over the back for the hands to catch.
    The horse was 'moving' long and low, but not with FORWARD.

If the horse isn't actually working, is it Dressage? Or just riding along?

-It's just my opinion.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Why? Because the horse is losing its balance. They always go faster when they lose their balance.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

No wait - the video is SIMILAR to a guy's that pop up on riding bulletin boards quite often.

A lot of people just adore him because the horse's heads are down. For some people, that is just the be-all and end-all of riding.

From a dressage point of view, the stretching is completely incorrect.

It causes a big loss of balance and it is not the 'stretching in hand' that dressage trainers or judges want to see.

It has no benefit from a dressage point of view.

Those are my thoughts on it.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes the position of the horse is way too extreme and causes loss of balance.

It would not be therapeutic for kissing spine condition.

That is what they claim, though.

And just TRY to disagree with the anointed, lol.

I saw a video of him riding a few years ago. He had this idea then that you should lean back when you ride. I've never, ever seen anyone lean their upper body back more than he did in that video.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Which guy? Not going to watch again, but all the main people I saw were female? Just want to check who I should be looking out for.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Sorry, no, that video is not from Will Faeber, but it's the same deal anyway.

From a dressage perspective, the stretching is wrong. For one thing, there's too much of it (it's an exercise, not a religion), the positions are too extremely low, they're too low for stretching exercise, the stretching is not initiated correctly, the rein contact is not maintained, so it has no value.

These guys are all pretty much the same - working a horse in a working position will destroy their backs. You have to ride them around REALLY LOW ALL THE TIME. Or almost all the time. They have no conception of the progression of the dressage work through the levels. And they are categorically against riding the horse in an upper level posture - they say all the time it ruins their backs.

Well it doesn't. IF the muscles are built properly. These exercises in this video won't do that..

This just isn't how it works in dressage. In fact, in dressage, the key is that the POSITION CHANGES. The horse is for most of the schooling session, NOT stretched low - not even at training level - he's in a WORKING POSITION - that is NOT an extremely low position. It's the SAME position the horse would use when he's loose and alert and looking around.

Again, in dressage, stretching is an exercise - not a religion. In many other forms of riding the horses are supposed to stay in a very low position ALL THE TIME on a loose rein. The problem is that is a mess for dressage. It may be AWESOME for other forms of riding...it is a big problem for us.